The hall was built by Sir William Pierrepont around 1500. The family rose to be Dukes of Kingston in the eighteenth century, and by this time their principal seat was Thoreseby Hall in the dukeries area on the other side of Nottingham. Holme Pierrepont became a secondary house and was reduced in size. After the dukedom died out the title of Earl Manvers was created for the family. The north range of Holme Pierrepont was rebuilt by Robert Pierrepont, 1st Earl of Kingston-on-Hull in 1628, but was demolished around 1730 before being rebuilt around 1870.