The Vacancy – CARETAKER (Job description and person specification below)
Grade 4 Point 19 – 23 £18,560 – £21,057
As soon as possible
Permanent, Full Time (All Year Round)
The Trent Academies Group is an emerging multi-academy trust, based in Nottingham. Our aim is to support schools and academies in providing outstanding education for their pupils. The Trust currently consists of Rushcliffe School, an outstanding school in West Bridgford and The Farnborough Academy, Clifton and the Arnold Hill Academy, Arnold.
In our Group we work together, share staff, join up expertise, build on each other’s strengths, pool resources and combine facilities, so that everybody, staff and pupils, gets the chance to shine and achieve their best.
We are seeking to appoint an energetic and proactive Caretaker to join our site team. The job will involve ensuring the suitability and availability of school premises, facilities and buildings systems, such that teaching and learning can be carried out in a clean, safe, well maintained and secure environment.
It is intended that the role would be based at Rushcliffe School but the diversity of academies within the Group can provide fantastic opportunities for the development of practice and skills.
Rushcliffe is a popular and successful school in a pleasant, suburban area of Nottingham. It has a strong tradition of pastoral care, academic success and extra-curricular enrichment. We are committed to providing high quality training and development opportunities for all staff.
Please send your application to email@example.com.
Closing date for applications: Wednesday 1st March 2017 (midday)
The Trent Academies Group is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expect all staff to share in this commitment. This post may be subject to an enhanced DBS check.
Rushcliffe School – Job Description
Responsible to: Site Manager
Purpose of post:
To ensure the suitability and availability of school premises, facilities and buildings systems, such that teaching and learning can be carried out in a clean, safe, well maintained and secure environment.
Duties and responsibilities:
The following list of principle duties and responsibilities is intended to reflect the principal elements of the Caretaker’s role only and is therefore not exhaustive. They are meant to provide a working framework within which the post holder should exercise initiative, flexibility and accountability. The role of the Caretaker involves supporting the Site Manager as listed in the duties below.
The Caretaker reports directly to the Site Manager on all matters relating to the day to day running of the school.
The Caretaker assists with responsibility for the required standards of Health and Safety, protection of works, presentation and quality of the product. Working to the agreed build programme and financial parameters set by the Trent academies Group.
It is essential that the school site is covered between the hours of 6.30am – 8.30pm therefore the post holder would need to show flexibility with regards to working hours.
Management & Leadership
- To Assist the Site Manager in supervision and quality assurance of the work of the premises staff team
- To liaise with a wide range of users of the premises. To act as a point of contact for most site and facility oriented enquiries in the absence of the Site Manager
- To assist the site manager in quality assurance of the work appointed to facility lettings, cleaning and grounds maintenance contractors
- To participate in meetings relating to the planning, management and operation of the school site
- To identify appropriate relevant training for him/herself and where appropriate deliver training in the correct maintenance and operation of the school premises and building systems.Administration
- To undertake appropriate administration including the use of computer hardware and software in accordance with school policies including the Finance Policy, including but not limited to.
- Sourcing materials and maintenance, servicing and repairs, to ensure “Best Value”.
- Arranging and recording the periodic inspection of systems including fire safety systems, water management and legionella prevention, asbestos condition monitoring, emergency lighting, insuranceinspections, portable appliances, ladders and access system, as necessary
- To support the Site Manager in the development, specification and implementation of repair /maintenance / development initiatives.Security:
- Acting as a key holder and attending in emergency call out situations.
- Operating and monitoring the intruder alarm system and other security equipment.
- Ensuring the security of the premises and contents. Boarding up and making secure as necessary.
- Ensuring assets are security marked.
- In cases of emergency outside the working week, e.g. intruders, fire, floods etc. be required to attend such as required.
- Using and maintaining the effective operation of a variety of electrical and mechanical equipment.
- Ensuring external hard surfaces, paths and turf areas are kept clean and tidy.
- Emptying internal and external litter collection bins.
- Collecting and disposing of refuse including that collected by the cleaning contractors.
- Liaison with cleaning contractor’s staff, waste recycling contractors, grounds maintenance contractors and other occupiers
- Ensuring the swift removal of graffiti.
- Ensuring that staff, visitor and pupil toilets are clean, stocked, and fit for use.
- The checking, cleaning and unblocking of gutters, gulleys and drains as required.
- Assist with the cleaning of internal and low level external glass, mirrors and windows.
- The cleaning of light fittings and skylights as required.
- Cleaning and preparing floors of halls, corridors, stairs, etc as required. Maintaining the appearance of wooden floors.
- Salting and de-icing of hard surface areas during the winter months and moving of snow to ensure safe access to the premises.Heating:
- To attend to the building heating systems, ensuring the reliable operation of plant including boilers, circulation pumps, controls, valves, tanks, gauges, heaters, radiators etc.
- De-ashing the woodpellets fired boilers as necessary.
- Ensure adequate stocks of fuel are maintained.
- Ensure faults are identified, reported, and repaired within the limits of competence.
- Assist with the provision and operation of temporary heating equipment.
- Carry out cleaning and maintenance of heater cabinets and filters.
- Attend to heating of premises at weekends and holidays during the approved winter period when required.Porterage
- To prepare for school events, to set out and put away furniture for meetings, assemblies, break and lunch time, examinations, lettings etc.
- To receive, record and distribute deliveries in a timely manner.
- To assist with the movement of furniture, stock and equipment around the premises.
- To ensure that caretakers storage areas are kept clean, tidy and safe
- To drive school vehicles for the purpose of collecting materials and taking vehicles for servicing.Shift and weekend working:
- Ability and willingness to attend intruder alarm callouts.
- Flexibility is required to accommodate the changes required of the school.Buildings Systems:To have a working knowledge of the location and operation of various buildings systems, and contribute to their efficient operation, including but not limited to:
- Electricity distribution and fuse panels,
- Lesson bells system, Lighting control systems, emergency lighting systems,
- Intruder alarm system,
- Fire alarm system,
- Heating and building energy management system,
- Hot and cold water distribution and storage systems, water pressurisation systems,
- Drainage and sewer systems including foul and top-water drains, down pipes etc,
- Locking, key and security access systems.
- To share knowledge of the school building systems by training colleagues in the correct operation, maintenance and use of the systems.
- To provide an agreed range of “handy person” duties.
Maintenance and Safety:
- To take reasonable care for the health and safety of him/herself and of other persons who may be affected by his/her activities and, where appropriate. Safeguarding the health and safety of all persons under his/her control and guidance in accordance with the provision of health and safety legislation.
- To wear and use appropriate personal protective clothing and equipment.
- To liase with school colleagues, contractors as required.
- To attend to spillages, floods, blockages and breakages as required.
- To carry out a range of minor maintenance and running repairs within the limit of his/her competence.
- To undertake regular testing of the temperature of hot and cold water systems to ensure compliance with Legionella prevention measures, recording outcomes and reporting any problem areas identified.
- To replace light bulbs and tubes as required.
- To check fire extinguishers for condition and charge state, recording findings and reporting/replacingextinguishers as necessary.
To hold and maintain appropriate qualifications to erect and use scaffold towers, use woodworking machines.
Undertaking any other duties, which may reasonably be regarded as within the nature and the responsibilities/grade of the post, subject to the proviso that normally any changes of a permanent nature shall be incorporated into the job description in specific terms.