Warning to owners after nine dogs poisoned in Nottingham

The RSPCA is urging dog-owners to be cautious after nine dogs in Nottingham have been treated for suspected poisoning in the last three weeks.


It is not known what the dogs have ingested, however the dogs – who have all since recovered – all showed similar neurological symptoms, including seizures and impaired movement.

banner ad


RSPCA inspector Laura Kirkham said: “These must have been very distressing incidents for the dogs and their owners. We are thankful to the staff at the PDSA in Dunkirk for bringing this to our attention.


“Poisoning causes a lot of pain and distress and sadly can be fatal. There is the worrying possibility that someone may be poisoning animals deliberately so if anyone has seen anything suspicious please contact us on 0300 123 8018.”

Fallen trees causing travel problems across Notts


Flo Morrison, senior vet at Nottingham PDSA Pet Hospital in Dunkirk, said: “In the last three weeks we have admitted nine dogs with twitching and other neurological signs consistent with toxicity.

“All of these cases have been from the NG8 postcode, with the majority in Wollaton and bordering suburbs. In all cases the symptoms began quite soon after being taken out for walks, so we are advising owners in this area to be very vigilant when out with their dogs, and to keep them on the lead for the time being.”


While we do not know if these incidents are deliberate or accidental we do want to remind people that deliberately poisoning an animal could mean an unlimited fine and/or six months in prison under the Animal Welfare Act.

Police seek drivers who may have witnessed fatal collision


If you are concerned that your pet may have been poisoned please contact your vet immediately. Signs that your animal could have been poisoned vary and can include any of the following:


  • Depression

  • Lack of appetite

  • Vomiting

  • Diarrhoea

  • Breathing difficulties

  • Appearing drunk and uncoordinated

  • Twitching

  • Seizures.


People should be careful when putting down any substances which are potentially poisonous to ensure that other animals are not affected (e.g. slug pellets) and that substances are stored appropriately and properly disposed of, rather than dumping them on a roadside or in a park.