More than 1,800 visitors attended the reopening of Nottingham Castle on June 26, according to Nottingham City Council.
The attraction is back under the Labour-run authority’s control after the trust which had been running the site collapsed in November 2022.
The previous prices of entry were among criticisms levelled at Nottingham Castle Trust before its closure.
These were £13 for one adult, £9.50 for one child, and £35.50 for a family of two adults and up to three children. There were also additional costs for access to the Robin Hood Adventures, and Castle Caves Underground Adventure attractions.
The council has reopened the site with an annual adult pass ticket costing £12, while children under 15 get in for free.
During a Full Council meeting on Monday, July 10, Cllr Pavlos Kotsonis, who has overseen the reopening, revealed how many visitors had attended on the first day.
“Once the doors were open a large crowd of 1,800 visitors flooded through the gates on the first day,” he said.
“I repeat 1,800 visitors in a single day. That is a remarkable number.
“Just after 13 weeks from a decision being made by the Executive Board to reopen the site was able to provide a full offer.
“This work included advertisement, recruiting a team of new staff for the operation of the site, developing and launching a new family-orientated pricing structure for the site.
“We’ve had the opening of Brewhouse Yard and put together a special Windrush exhibition, to celebrate 75 years of this important event.
“If that was not enough, prior to seeing the full site reopen, we had six other open days on the grounds.”
The castle will be open from 10am to 5pm from February to October and from 11am to 4pm from November to January.
It is operated by the council’s experienced Museums and Galleries Service, which also runs Wollaton Hall and Newstead Abbey.
During the Full Council meeting questions over the use of a land train were also raised.
The train, which was supposed to ferry people between Brewhouse Yard and the castle while also improving access, had been promised by the trust before its liquidation.
Cllr Andrew Rule (Ind), who represents Clifton West, said: “The portfolio holder will be aware as part of the council’s initial funding bid for the castle, a land train was to be provided, and I’m sure he would agree with me this would enhance access to the castle’s offer?
“Can he therefore update the chamber on when this will be operational?”
Cllr Kotsonis replied to say: “This will be operational. We are working on this.
“It is going to be working on site and it is part of the reopening offer.”
However no date for when it will be operational was given.