12.6 C
West Bridgford
Tuesday, 18 May 2021

Broxtowe voters need to carry ID when they cast their vote

1 1

This Thursday (May 2), if you want to have your say on who runs the council in Broxtowe, you’re going to need to do something a little different than last time.

Broxtowe Borough Council is taking part in a Government scheme which means voters will need to have ID with them as they cast their vote.

In previous elections, voters could turn up at their polling station, tell the clerk their name, and be issued with a ballot paper to head into the voting booth with.

1 1

Now, voters will need to prove they are who they say they are.

Last year, the Conservative-controlled council volunteered to take part in a pilot scheme being run in 10 other areas across the country, which hopes to reduce the risk of electoral fraud.

However concerns have been raised that the scheme will make it more difficult for people to vote, and could reduce turnout (the number of people voting).

Results and turnout in the 11 areas will be watched closely during the elections on Thursday, May 2, before a decision is made on whether to roll the scheme out nationally.

What kind of ID can I use?
For most people, some form of ID they carry in their purse or wallet will be enough.

You can either use one form of photo ID, such as a passport or driving licence, or two forms of non-photo ID like a poll card, bank card, council tax bill or a bank statement, one of which must include their name and address.

Acceptable forms of photographic ID
(a) a passport issued by a Commonwealth country or a country within the European Economic Area;

(b) a photocard driving licence (including a provisional licence) issued in the United Kingdom or by a crown dependency or by a member state of the European Union;

(c) an electoral identity card issued under section 13C (electoral identity card: Northern Ireland) of the Representation of the People Act 1983;

(d) a biometric immigration document issued in the United Kingdom in accordance with regulations made under section 5 of the UK Borders Act 2007;

(e) an identity card issued in the European Economic Area which bears a photograph of the voter;

(f) a PASS scheme card (national proof of age standards scheme);

(g) a Ministry of Defence identity card;

(h) a concessionary travel pass funded by HM Government;

(i) an Oyster 60+ pass;

(j) a photocard parking permit issued as part of the blue badge scheme

Acceptable forms of non-photographic ID
Please note one of these must include your name and address.

a poll card for the election;
a valid bank or building society debit card or credit card;
a bank or building society cheque book or building society passbook;
a driving licence (including a provisional licence) which is not in the form of a photocard;
a statement of benefits or entitlement to benefits, such as a statement of child benefit within the meaning of section 141 of the Social Security Contributions and Benefits Act 1992, or a letter confirming that the applicant is entitled to housing benefit, within the meaning of section 130 of that act;
a birth certificate;
a marriage certificate or civil partnership certificate;
an adoption certificate;
a firearms certificate granted under the Firearms Act 1968;
the record of a decision on bail made in respect of the voter in accordance with section 5(1) of the Bail Act 1976;
a National Insurance number card or a letter sent by HMRC issuing your National Insurance number
If issued within three months of the poll

a bank or building society statement, or a letter from the bank or building society confirming the opening of an account;
a credit card statement;
a utility bill;
If issued within 12 months of the poll

a council tax demand letter or statement;
a mortgage statement;
a Form P45 or Form P60;
a student loan statement issued by the Student Loan Company.
What to do if you don’t have any of these IDs
The council says if you are a registered elector and do not have one of the accepted forms of ID, you will be able to get a “certificate of identity” from the council free of charge, which will be accepted at polling stations and enable you to vote.

The deadline to apply for a “certificate of identity” is Wednesday, May 1 at 5pm.

The vote will be held between 7am and 10pm on Thursday, May 2.