Saturday 20 July 2024
22.9 C
Nottingham

Colwick waste site fire deemed accidental, say fire service

The cause of a fire on Private Road 2, Colwick, has been established as accidental, with the most likely cause thought to be lithium batteries discarded into general waste.

On Friday 15 April at 08:35am we were called to Colwick Industrial Estate, where 20 tonnes of general waste materials were burning.

Crews from Carlton, London Road, Arnold, Highfields and Edwinstowe, Collingham, and Hucknall attended the incident, plus the Aerial Ladder Platform, Ashfield’s High Volume Pump and the Water Carrier from Worksop Fire Station. The fire was extinguished by approximately 1pm, and crews revisited at 6pm to reinspect the scene.

Phil Revill, Group Manager at Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: “Lithium battery fires in waste disposal centres are avoidable. We ask that members of the public think before discarding batteries into their general waste.

“Thankfully we were able to contain this fire within a matter of hours, but irresponsible waste disposal does have consequences. If you are unsure on what you can or cannot bin, please contact your local council.”

Follow The Wire on TikTok, Facebook, X, Instagram. Send your story to newsdesk@westbridgfordwire.com or via WhatsApp on 0115 772 0418

Categories:
 

Latest