An accidental fire at a home in Arnold, caused the death of a 53-year-old woman, an inquest heard on Friday 29th November.
Assistant Coroner, Fiona Gingell found that Ms Jayne Scott, of 12 Merton Close Arnold, died accidentally of severe burns following a fire at her home 1st July 2019.
Ms Scott had been at home with family earlier on that day. Later that evening, after her family had left, around 8 pm, a neighbour recalled hearing her fire alarm sounding and smoke coming from the upstairs bedroom window of 12 Merton Close.
Fire Crews from Arnold, Carlton and Stockhill were called to the address and found that the fire had self-extinguished by the time they arrived. It is believed the fire started accidentally whilst using the gas hob. The court heard that the appliance was not subject to any recall notices or technical faults.
Fire Investigation Officer Station Manager Tom Clark, said, “It was a very unfortunate and tragic accident. I would like to express my most sincere condolences to the family and friends of Ms Scott.
This raises an important issue and our advice is that if you’re using an appliance with a naked flame, please make sure that any nearby flammable items, including clothing, are kept well out of harm’s way. With the cold weather and the festive period approaching, please take the time to ensure that you and any family members, specifically the elderly or those that are vulnerable are safe. Any open flame can easily and quickly ignite any nearby combustible items, so it is essential that complete care is taken at all times, particularly as we start to enjoy the festive period”
Fire Safety advice can be found on this website, where you can also request a Safe and Well visit for anyone who may be considered vulnerable. https://www.notts-fire.gov.uk/staying-safe/your-safety