Saturday 24 February 2024
0.1 C
Nottingham

Eight Nottinghamshire alleyways to be fenced off to prevent ASB

Eight Nottinghamshire alleyways described as being “magnets for crime and anti-social behaviour” will be fenced off under plans from a council.

Ashfield District Council plans to create a new public spaces protection order (PSPO) – a legal tool councils use to clamp down on crime and public nuisance in their areas.

It will come alongside a separate PSPO already in place until September 2024 targeting alcohol use, public urination and defecation, dog fouling and other dog-related measures in public spaces.

The new order will target the eight alleyways after concerns were raised about general anti-social behaviour, with some described as “hotspots” for crime.

Other concerns include littering and fly-tipping, off-road motorbikes and ‘nuisance vehicles’, large groups congregating around them and residents reporting “feelings of being unsafe”.

- Advertisement -

The eight alleyways being targeted include three routes on the Coxmoor estate in Kirkby-in-Ashfield.

This includes land next to 40 Rosewood Drive and the two alleys connecting Spruce Grove to Poplar Avenue and Beacon Drive.

It also includes four hotspots in Sutton-in-Ashfield.

This includes a service road behind Outram Street – connecting Downing Street to North Street – known locally as ‘mucky alley’.

This route has already had CCTV installed after being described by councillors as a “drive-thru for fly-tippers”.

The order also includes two public rights of way connecting Bramley Court to Bentinck Street and Sutton Lawn, as well as the passage between Welbeck Street and Portland Close.

A right of way behind 34-37 Rockwood Walk in Hucknall will also be targeted under the order.

If the authority approves the new PSPO, it is hoped the eight areas would be closed off and gated by early next year.

The council’s cabinet members will discuss the plans when they meet on Tuesday (November 8).

They are expected to approve a five-week public consultation on the idea  between November 9 and December 14.

A second report is expected before the cabinet meeting in January and, if the public agrees with the plans, the closures need to be approved by a full council meeting.

Councillor Helen-Ann Smith (Ash Ind) said:

“The closure of these alleyways is something we have been working on for some time.

“These are alleyways that have been identified by councillors and residents as magnets for crime and anti-social behaviour.

“This decision will dramatically improve residents’ lives and we’re pleased to have listened to and acted on their concerns.”

Cllr David Hennigan (Ind) represents Central Sutton and New Cross, where the four Sutton-in-Ashfield areas are based.

Speaking last month, he said: “These alleyways have been the bane of people’s lives. The four in Sutton have been particularly bad, with evidence of drug dealing and criminal damage.

“The closure of one side of the access road behind Outram Street and the new CCTV will do a lot to protect residents on Russell Street, whose properties back onto the worst alleyway in Nottinghamshire.

“No one likes to block access for residents, but in our fight to reduce crime and combat fly-tipping it is exactly the right thing to do.”

•  Nottinghamshire town’s iconic sundial to be removed in new vision for the area

Follow The Wire on TikTok, Facebook, X, Instagram. Send your story to newsdesk@westbridgfordwire.com or via WhatsApp on 0115 772 0418

 

Latest