Sunday 21 July 2024
14.3 C

Elderly woman rescued from house blaze by neighbour

An elderly woman was rescued from a house fire in Sneinton by her neighbour.

The blaze has been deemed as accidental following an investigation yesterday.

Firefighters from London Road and Carlton Fire Station attended the incident around 8:30AM yesterday morning (Monday 17 January 2022).

Upon arrival, the woman was outside her property with a neighbour, who had gone into the house to rescue her before emergency services had arrived.

He had been alerted to the fire after seeing smoke coming out of the house. Other neighbours were alerted to the smoke percolating into their properties by their smoke alarms.

- Advertisement -

The woman is now being treated for smoke inhalation.

Fire Investigator and Watch Manager, Tim Marston, said: “Even though we encourage people to follow our ‘get out, stay out and call 999’ advice, this brave act from the neighbour prevented the woman’s injuries from being significantly worse.

“This incident just shows how important it is to have working smoke alarms in your property. We ask that every property has at least one smoke alarm on each floor and that they are tested regularly.

“It is also important that people have an escape plan and know in advance what to do if a fire occurs. Everyone within the household, or place of work, should know what to do as part of this plan.

Local firefighters will be around Sneinton in the coming days to reassure the community and to provide important fire safety advice, which will include what to do if a fire occurs and how to formulate an escape plan.

“We are supporting the lady and her family as much as we can during this difficult time, and we wish her a speedy recovery.”

Follow The Wire on TikTok, Facebook, X, Instagram. Send your story to or via WhatsApp on 0115 772 0418