Saturday 13 July 2024
12.5 C
Nottingham

New estate could get 170 more homes if £2.5m developer cash agreed

A developer will be asked to pay more than £2.5m in community contributions if it wants to extend a Mansfield development by 170 more houses.

Applicants Commercial Estates Projects Ltd and Hallam Land Management have brought the plans forward for Penniment Farm, off Abbott Road.

Building work of the first part of the scheme has already started after councillors granted initial approval for a 430-home estate.

However, the developers are asking the authority to make the scheme even bigger and begin work on the second, third and fourth phases.

New documents, due to be debated by Mansfield District Council’s planning committee on March 13, show the scheme could be extended above 600 properties.

- Advertisement -

But the developers will only be allowed planning consent for these extra homes if they pay significant sums to mitigate the impact of their plans.

In total, the developer contributions being requested through the application amount to £2,581,188.

Documents reveal about 1,000 new patients would be brought to the area through the full 600-home scheme, putting strain on existing GP surgeries.

This includes Forest Medical, Roundwood Surgery, Acorn Medical Practice, Churchside Medical Practice, Millview Surgery and the Bull Farm Primary Care Resource Centre.

The authority says all practices are working at capacity and are “reviewing their options” to see how they would accommodate the new patients.

The wider development – including the first phase – is expected to require £425,000 to fund either GP extensions or a new surgery.

Within the planned 170-home extension of the scheme, the developer would be asked to provide £180,625 towards the healthcare infrastructure.

A further £1,588,188 will be requested to fund contributions towards primary education alongside £539,000 for public transport improvements.

The developers would also have to pay £207,575 for road improvements and £65,800 to upgrade bus stops if the council approves their plans next week.

However, the authority’s officers are recommending the 170-home extension be given the green light, provided the financial contributions are accepted.

In a report, the council revealed a consultation on the amended plans was launched in January and received two letters of objection from residents.

These included the “cumulative impact” on roads and local services, issues with noise, odour, light pollution and privacy, and concerns about congestion.

But in planning papers lodged to the authority, the developers said: “The proposal will make a significant contribution to the economic sustainability of the local and wider area.

“[It] provides substantial increases in the economic benefits offered by the existing consent.

“Delivering high-quality new housing presents the opportunity to provide accommodation for workers in the surrounding area and increased spend in the local area could help to support the local shops, services and facilities.”

The current application only outlines access proposals for the second, third and fourth phases of the Penniment Farm development.

Other details, such as design and layout, would be brought forward in future planning applications if the authority grants consent next week.

It comes as part of the wider, mixed-use Penniment Farm site which also promises employment and industrial space.

Plans were revealed last year for more than 500 jobs to be brought to the former farmland, including distribution, skilled and semi-skilled roles.

Training and apprenticeship schemes could also be brought forward during the construction phase of the industrial site.

Follow The Wire on TikTok, Facebook, X, Instagram. Send your story to newsdesk@westbridgfordwire.com or via WhatsApp on 0115 772 0418

 

Latest