A couple with a disabled son have found a dream home to last them a lifetime at David Wilson Homes’ development Hollygate Park in Cotgrave.
Properties at the development, on Hollygate Lane, are not only luxurious and well designed, but are all built to meet the criteria of Lifetime Homes, which means they have been designed to cater for residents throughout different milestones in their lives, as they have been uniquely planned to last homeowners a lifetime.
Winston and Christine Kilburn were looking to purchase a new build property and were delighted to find out the homes at Hollygate Park would easily accommodate their son Owen (26), who has Spina Bifida and uses a wheelchair, along with teenage daughter Shanice who’ve lived in the Rushcliffe area for 20 years.
They decided to downsize to a four bedroom home from a five bedroom property to set down some roots and are already thinking of how they will benefit from features at the development such as the nearby Cotgrave Country Park, when they retire.
The downstairs cloakroom in their new home is wheelchair accessible and can easily be adapted into a wet room, meaning Owen can live on the ground floor of the home if necessary. There are also already sockets in place by the staircase if the family decide to put a stair lift in.
The home has larger doorways meaning it is easier to get a wheelchair in and out of the house and the level access paths leading into the home also helps to make it a smooth transition for Owen.
Winston said: “It feels great being part of a new community, with neighbours from all walks of life and professions. The future plans for the development will make this a thriving community and asset to Cotgrave as a whole.
“David Wilson Homes stood out to us as an excellent homebuilder that offered high quality built home and large family functional rooms, which mean my son can manoeuvre around the ground floor in his wheelchair with ease.
“We chose the development and this particular location as we wanted to set down some roots for when we potentially retire and we can benefit from the great surroundings of the country park.
“The layout of the home is perfect as we also wanted study for my son, which could be transformed into ground floor bedroom if he thought it would be better suited for his needs.”
The family downsized from a five bedroom home to their current home as they wanted something that was easier to maintain and more energy efficient.
Lifetime Homes features at Hollygate Park include:
- Wider doorways and well-designed rooms and hallways to allow for access and ease of movement, ideal for wheelchair users and families with young children.
- Outside lights next to all main doors to help illuminate entrances.
- Living room windows positioned to allow people to see outside when seated.
- Provision to install a stair lift or through-the-floor lift, as well as ceilings with the capability to support hoists, allowing for access between bedrooms and bathrooms for those with reduced mobility.
- Downstairs spaces planned to ensure anyone unable to use the stairs can live comfortably on the ground floor for a period of time. This downstairs cloakroom also has the potential to be adapted with showering facilities and grab rails if this looks to be a longer term solution.
- Wider parking spaces and driveways to help make getting in and out of vehicles easier.
- Service controls including electrical switches and sockets, TV, telephone, computer points, central heating thermostat and mains water stop taps at a height and distance easily reachable for people with low mobility.
David Wilson Homes has also recently sponsored Owen £300 to help him compete in the BWF Para-Badminton World Championships in South Korea, a sport which he has been playing for nearly 11 years.
Jason Hearn, Sales Director at David Wilson Homes East Midlands, said: “The Lifetime Homes features are designed to be future proof, so they’re perfect for families like the Kilburns that may have to adapt their home in the future.
“We wish Owen the best of luck in his upcoming tournament and are delighted to hear that the family have settled into the development.
“Here at David Wilson Homes we have taken building homes one step further and crafted these properties to consider people in wheelchairs and those with prams who may normally struggle with accessibility in a home.
“The stunning homes at our Hollygate Park development can prove to be a great investment as they could last anyone a lifetime.”
The development is conveniently just a short 20-minute drive into Nottingham city centre, a 10-minute drive to West Bridgford and is just 16 miles from the M1. It’s also close both the A46 and A52 which offer great links to Leicester and Derby.
The area also boasts local sought-after primary schools, a range of shops and the Grantham Canal nearby, so as well as excellent road links for commuters it’s the ideal location for a range of homebuyers.
The sales centre and show homes at Hollygate Park are open Monday 12.30pm to 5.30pm and Thursday to Sunday 10.00am to 5.30pm.