Mansfield District Council will spend as much as £600,000 repairing four faulty lifts at one of the town’s multi-storey car parks.
The authority is to find a contractor for the works, at Walkden Street Car Park, six months after all lifts were taken out of use.
The car park, off Walkden Street and Stockwell Gate, is split into two sides – sides A and B – with lifts in side A stopped during an ‘urban greening’ project last year.
This decision, the council said at the time, was taken “as a matter of safety” as they exited onto a construction site.
Side B lifts were also taken out of use in January this year after investigations deemed them “unsafe” to use.
Measures were then taken to accommodate blue badge holders, Shopmobility customers and parent and child bays on the ground floor of the car park.
The council apologised to the public in April and said it was looking for a “long-term resolution” before confirming in July works were to be conducted.
Now the authority is finding contractors to repair the lifts and provide long-term maintenance.
It’s the first step in a plan to get the lifts back into use by customers by July next year, the authority confirmed in July’s full council meeting.
New papers say the four lifts will be replaced after investigations found they are “beyond economic repair”.
Temporary repairs have been carried out to two lifts to ensure they are operational but the plan is for all four lifts to be replaced.
The council expects the work to cost between £500,000 and £600,000 and for the work to begin in this financial year.
A delegated decision will be taken by James Biddlestone, the authority’s head of people and transformation, on Friday (August 18).
This will agree to find a contractor ahead of work beginning next year.
In a report, the council said: “The four lifts are as originally constructed with only minor upgrades and modernisation throughout their operational life.
“The life span of lifts is typically 25 years and their current condition is affecting day-to-day service delivery.
“Following advice from both the council’s lift contractor and lift insurance inspector, it’s considered they are beyond economic repair.
“Therefore, it’s recommended the lifts are replaced as part of the planned preventative works programme.
“The replacement lifts will be upgraded to improve the customer experience and ensure the Council is in compliance with accessibility regulations.”
It comes after opposition Cllr Sinead Anderson (Con) questioned the authority in July’s full council meeting about the unsafe lifts.
Cllr Anderson, who represents the Thompsons ward, said the lifts are a “barrier to town centre accessibility” and asked for a timeline on the repairs.
In response, Cllr Stuart Richardson (Lab), portfolio holder for regeneration, said: “It is anticipated a contractor will be appointed in November 2023 and commence on-site in February 2024.
“Completion of the project [is expected] in July 2024.”