Sunday 3 March 2024
0.4 C

Firefighters praise students who prevented serious fire at elderly neighbours property

Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service has praised a group of students after they came to the aid of their elderly neighbours and prevented a serious fire in their home.

On Saturday 7 May at around 1.30am a small fire had started in the kitchen of an elderly couple on Teversal Avenue, Radford.

An elderly woman from the house had been alerted by the smoke alarm and rushed to her neighbours for help, with her bedridden husband still inside.

The student neighbours, a mix of University of Nottingham and Nottingham Trent University students, saw that smoke was coming from the house and ran over into the kitchen to turn off the stove, remove the pan and open all the windows to let out the smoke. They stayed with the couple until the fire service arrived.

Firefighters from London Road and Highfields fire stations arrived shortly after to make the house safe and complete a Safe and Well check on the couple’s home to give fire safety advice to keep them safe.

- Advertisement -

Today (Friday 27 May), a crew from Highfields Fire Station returned to the street to thank the students and recognise their actions.

Crew Manager Paul Snowden of Highfields Fire Station said: “We could have been dealing with a much more serious incident had it not been for the quick thinking of these young people who rushed in to help their neighbours.

“If you face a fire in your home our advice is to get out, stay and call 999 but we wanted to come back to recognise the actions of these students who stepped up to help when they were needed.

“Smoke alarms helped raise the alarm so that the elderly lady was able to get help. It is a reminder that smoke alarms save lives, and you should test them regularly.”

Follow The Wire on TikTok, Facebook, X, Instagram. Send your story to or via WhatsApp on 0115 772 0418