Tuesday 23 July 2024
15.1 C
Nottingham

Firefighters save a woman and three dogs from house fire

A woman and her three dogs were saved by firefighters from a house fire in Kirkby-in-Ashfield.

Joint Fire Control received a call just after 7pm on Saturday 27 August to a fire in a kitchen at a house on Festus Street in Kirkby-in-Ashfield.

Fire crews from Ashfield, Mansfield and Alfreton fire stations responded to the call, caused by an electrical fault in the microwave.

A 52-year-old woman had become trapped by smoke was rescued by firefighters through a bathroom window and treated by East Midlands Ambulance Service (EMAS) for smoke inhalation.

Three dogs were also rescued, with Smokey Paws specialised animal oxygen masks used to give immediate first aid to the animals.

- Advertisement -

Screenshot 2022 09 21 at 09.09.55

The oxygen masks designed for animals are provided by not-for-profit organisation Smokey Paws which has donated over 2,000 sets of masks to UK fire and rescue services.

Group Manager Phil Revill said: “The quick actions of crews helped to save four lives on this day, and we wish them all the best in their recovery.

“Pet oxygen masks from Smokey Paws are funded through donations and save animals’ lives so if you can contribute towards this life-saving equipment then this would be a great help to us.

“As this fire started in the kitchen, we would also like to remind people to have a smoke alarm on each floor and test them regularly, as you never know when a fire might happen.”

If you would like to donate to Smokey Paws to give pet oxygen masks to every UK fire engine, you can visit their donation page.

Follow The Wire on TikTok, Facebook, X, Instagram. Send your story to newsdesk@westbridgfordwire.com or via WhatsApp on 0115 772 0418

Categories:
 

Latest