The M1 in Leicestershire is closed in both directions between J21A and J22 near Leicester due to a Police led incident.
UPDATE 09:57 am – All lanes reopened
UPDATE: The M1 southbound between J22 and J21A near Leicester has now reopened. There is approx. 4 miles of congestion on approach, causing delays of 45 minutes above usual journey times. Northbound carriageway remains closed
Emergency services including Leicestershire Police are on scene. National Highways Traffic Officers are also on scene assisting with traffic management.
Northbound traffic is being diverted via the hollow triangle diversion symbol
- Exit the M1 northbound at Junction 21a to join the A46 northbound.
- Continue northbound along the A46 to the A46/A50 Interchange. At the Interchange take the first
exit onto the A50 Markfield Road.
- Continue along the A50 passing through the Lena Drive junction, Bradgate Hill and Fieldhead Roundabouts to A50/M1 Junction 22 Interchange.
- At the Interchange, take the fourth exit and rejoin the M1 northbound.
Southbound traffic is being diverted via the solid circle diversion symbol
- Reverse of the above diversion
If this closure impacts on your planned route, please allow extra journey time. Plan ahead, you may wish to re-route or even delay your journey.
Further information is available from National
AA Roadwatch reports:
First reported 6:40 am.
‘Reports of very slow traffic due to crash on M1 Southbound from J23 A512 Ashby Road East (Loughborough) to J22 A50 (Coalville / Ashby-De-La-Zouch).’
National Highways said:
‘The M1 between J21A and J22 near Leicester, traffic has been temporarily STOPPED in both directions due to a Leicestershire Police incident.
‘We will keep you updated.’