A project to provide more regulated places for travellers to stop in Mansfield will see four new camps set aside, it has been revealed.
A total of 122 sites were initially considered, with 15 now remaining on the shortlist of possible destinations – and the public is being asked for its views on which should be selected.
A report on the subject says the council is ‘committed to meeting all housing needs, including the housing needs of the gypsy, traveller and travelling showpeople community within the district.
Of the 15 sites, four are required to be allocated, made up of one site for permanent provision of three pitches, one site for transit provision of 15 pitches and two sites for travelling showpeople.
The council is also considering how, once the allocations are made, the sites can best be managed.
The council is legally obliged to ensure it has a five year supply of ‘deliverable sites’ meaning places which could be developed into traveller sites.
Next week, the council is expected to approve launching a consultation on the plans, including a series of workshops to help keep residents informed.
A spokesman for Mansfield District Council said: “No decisions have been made about which of the 15 sites are preferred but they are ranked according to their viability and further work will be required to determine whether sites are actually feasible. Work is continuing to contact all landowners.”
Consultation workshops will take place on these dates:
Wednesday, July 24 in the Council Chamber at the Civic Centre, Mansfield, from 1pm to 7pm;
Monday, September 2 at the Turner Hall in Mansfield Woodhouse from 1pm to 7pm;
Thursday, September 5 at Warsop Town Hall from 1pm to 7pm.
The sites being considered are:
• Derelict brownfield land between Spencer Street and Holden Street at Ladybrook, Mansfield
• Derelict brownfield land at Victoria Street/Clarence Street/Tenter Lane, Mansfield
• Surplus playing pitches at former Sherwood Hall School, off Stuart Avenue, Forest Town
• Derelict brownfield land at former railway station off Mansfield Road, Warsop
• Vacant brownfield land off Baums Lane, Mansfield (opposite Central Avenue)
• Greenfield land to the south of New Mill Lane and the north of the Tall Trees Mobile Homes Park off Old Mill Lane, Forest Town
• Greenfield land at 40a Mansfield Road, Warsop (opposite Woodlands Nursing Home, Spion Kop)
• Greenfield land off Ley Lane, Mansfield Woodhouse (opposite Castleton Close)
• Greenfield Land at Pheasant Hill and Highfield Close, Mansfield (near Mansfield Lawn Tennis Club)
• Greenfield agricultural land off Chesterfield Road, Pleasley Hill (off Woburn Road)
• Derelict brownfield land at former Meden Vale Village Hall, Elkesley Road, Meden Vale
• Partially cleared allotments at Priory Road, Mansfield Woodhouse (next to Yeoman Hill Park and the Labour Hall)
• Greenfield land next to the allotments on Common Lane, Mansfield Woodhouse
• Greenfield land off off Northfield Lane, Mansfield Woodhouse
• Disused electricity substation at land off B6407 Longster Lane, Sookholme