3.6 C
West Bridgford
Friday, 27 November 2020

Match report: Charlton Athletic 1 – 1 Nottingham Forest


wb wire uchi takeaway ad 2
1 1 1

Albert Adomah came off the bench to score his first goal for Nottingham Forest and secure a point for The Reds at Charlton Athletic this evening.

The winger lashed home from close range following a corner to cancel out Lyle Taylor’s first-half opener at The Valley as a game of two halves ended all-square.

Sabri Lamouchi made two changes from the side which defeated Birmingham on the weekend, with Carl Jenkinson and Tiago Silva coming into the side in place of Joe Lolley and Samba Sow.

1 2
banner ad
wb wire uchi takeaway ad 2

Screenshot 2019 08 21 at 21.55.58

But The Reds were under the cosh from the first minute of the game as the hosts started confidently. Jonathan Leko saw a header hit the foot of the post before Tom Lockyer headed over the bar seconds later as they looked to barrage Forest’s goal.

Then on six minutes Aro Muric produced a stunning save to deny Conor Gallagher from close range as the midfielder looked set to score, before Michael Dawson threw his body in the way to block the follow-up effort from Leko.

Screenshot 2019 08 21 at 21.55.51

Forest looked to get a foothold in the game and started to string a few passes together, but Charlton kept coming forward and they took the lead on 18 through Taylor.

A teasing cross from the right wing from Leko was inch perfect for Taylor who glanced a header into the far corner and past a stranded Muric.


The home side continued to dominate as Forest struggled to get hold of the ball for long spells. But as the first half drew to a close, a glorious chance arrived at the feet of Lewis Grabban.

Screenshot 2019 08 21 at 21.56.07

Matty Cash’s shot deflected into the path of the striker who took a split second too long on the ball with the goal at his mercy, allowing Lockyer to come back and put in a goal-saving challenge as The Addicks went in ahead at the break.

Forest started the second half brightly and on the front foot, looking more assured on the ball without creating any clear-cut chances.

But it was Charlton who had the next sight of goal on 58 as Lyle Taylor got in behind the Forest backline to pull it back for Leko who could only scoop his shot over the bar from 12 yards out.

Lamouchi made a double change as John Bostock and Albert Adomah were introduced from the bench to drive Forest forward, and with 20 minutes to go they had clear claims for a penalty waved away as Sammy Ameobi was hacked down inside the area.

A much-improved second-half display from The Reds brought a deserved equaliser as Adomah struck to level the match. A corner from the left was not cleared by Charlton and Adomah pounced on the loose ball to smash it into the roof of the net, much to the delight of the travelling Reds behind the goal.

Forest were pushing on in search of a winner, with Charlton clinging on to their point. Tiago Silva hit a dipping volley just over the bar in injury time but the game ended all square in a well-contested match in south London.

Forest: Muric, Jenkinson, Worrall, Dawson (c), Robinson, Watson, Semedo (Bostock 64’), Silva, Cash (Adomah 64’), Ameobi (Mir 76’), Grabban

Unused subs: Samba, Ribeiro, Figueiredo, Sow

Goal: Adomah 78’

Bookings: Watson 43’, Ameobi 63’, Jenkinson 89’

Charlton: Phillips, Oshilaja, Lockyer, Sarr, Purrington, Gallagher, Cullen, Field (Pratley 77’), Leko (Aneke 77’), Oztumer (Williams 62’), Taylor (c)

Unused subs: Amos, Pearce, Bonne, Lapslie

Goal: Taylor 18’

Bookings: Lockyer 54’, Taylor 63’, Pratley 89’

Referee: Oliver Langford

Attendance: 17,204 (1,751 away)