6 C
West Bridgford
Friday, 27 November 2020

Match report: Nottingham Forest 1 – 2 Hull City


1 1 1
wb wire uchi takeaway ad 2

Nottingham Forest suffered back-to-back defeats for the first time this season after they fell to a 2-1 defeat against Hull City at The City Ground.

Goals either side of the break from Josh Magennis and Jarrod Bowen saw the visitors go into a two-nil lead and although Matty Cash pulled one back for Forest, their six-game unbeaten home run came to an end.

Sabri Lamouchi made four changes from the 1-0 defeat against Wigan at the weekend as Lewis Grabban, Joao Carvalho, Tiago Silva and Chema Rodriguez replaced Tobias Figueiredo, John Bostock, Yuri Ribeiro and Rafa Mir in the starting line-up.

banner ad
1 2
wb wire uchi takeaway ad 2

It was a fairly even start to proceedings as both teams conjured-up half-chances. Firstly, Bowen latched onto Jon Toral’s pass before firing inches past Brice Samba’s posts. Then moments later, Carvalho found half-a-yard of space on the edge of the Hull box, but his curling effort flew just wide of target via a deflection.

As the half wore on, Hull began to dominate the contest. In the 30th minute, they created a superb opportunity to take the lead. Kamil Grosicki played in Bowen whose right-footed attempt was excellently saved by Samba in the Forest net.

However, just eight minutes later, the visitors opened the scoring. Callum Elder’s cut back found Toral who’s effort was steered home by Magennis from close range as Hull went into the half-time break with a one-goal lead.

The Tigers came out of the blocks flying at the start of the second period, and they doubled their advantage in the 48th minute. Toral broke clear and squared the ball across for Bowen to slot the ball into the bottom corner.

Forest responded well to going two-goals behind, and they halved the deficit within just seven minutes. Cash drove inside and ran in on goal before tucking the ball into the corner past ‘keeper George Long.

The Reds began to push for an equaliser and they had strong penalty appeals waved away after Ameobi went down inside the box, but the referee wasn’t interested.

Just two minutes later, Hull were down to 10 men. Goalscorer Magennis was given his marching orders after a late challenge on captain Ben Watson.

Forest continued to press for a leveller and they created a brilliant chance late on. Silva’s in swinging corner was met by Joe Worrall, but the defender could only steer his header wide of target.

Despite The Reds’ late pressure, Hull stood firm and held out for the victory, and therefore condemn Forest to a first home defeat since the opening day.

Forest: Samba, Worrall, Grabban, Watson (c), Carvalho (Yates 61’), Cash, Robinson (Mir 80’), Ameobi (Adomah 73’), Lolley, Silva, Rodriguez

Subs not used: Muric, Ribeiro, Figueiredo, Johnson

Goal: Cash 55’

Bookings: Silva 15’, Robinson 40’

Hull: Long, Lichaj (c), de Wijs (Tafazolli 65’), Burke, Toral (Honeyman 73’), Grosicki (Balogh 73’), Bowen, Elder, Magennis, Irvine, Da Silva Lopes

Subs not used: Ingram, Stewart, Eaves, Bowler

Goals: Magennis 38’, Bowen 48’

Sent off: Magennis 68’

Referee: Oliver Langford

Attendance: 27,624 (690 away)