Monday 15 July 2024
12.7 C
Nottingham

New houses approved on former colliery development in Nottinghamshire

Progress has been made on a major 1,300-home development in Nottinghamshire after a council approved a small parcel of properties.

Bassetlaw District Council has approved 65 homes as part of the second phase of housing on the former Harworth Colliery land, on Scrooby Road.

Plans for the wider site, which were put forward by landowner Harworth Group Plc, were first granted outline planning consent in 2011.

This granted early planning permission for the homes, a pub, a public open space, demolition works and a new access route.

However, detailed applications must be submitted to bring each phase of housing forward.

- Advertisement -

The first phase, of about 145 homes, has already been delivered on the brownfield site.

The second phase, which is being built in four sections, promises 500 homes.

A future phase of 655 homes is due to be submitted to the authority at a later date.

Now the council’s planning department has approved detailed plans for 65 homes for the site, listed as phase 2C – the third section of four in the second phase.

This part of the development is being brought forward by housebuilder Harron Homes, which has already built properties in earlier parts of phase two.

Papers reveal the 65 homes will be made up of four two-bedroom, 11 three-bedroom, 44 four-bedroom and six five-bedroom properties.

Each house will come with its out parking arrangements and all homes will be two storeys in height.

In documents, Harron Homes said: “The redevelopment of the Colliery site will generate a new place that aims to meet the needs of the new community and its future generations.

“Phase 2C forms a part of the wider development. The proposals seek to deliver sustainable development and a high quality of life that improves economic, social and environmental wellbeing.

“The site is well-located in terms of access to existing community facilities and services and will help support the vitality and viability of Harworth and Bircotes.”

The development will be accessed via existing entry points already created through earlier sections of the development.

The housebuilder adds that existing routes will be modified to enable the “integration” of the new 65 homes with earlier phases of housing.

Documents reveal no comments or objections were raised by Harworth and Bircotes Town Council.

Nottinghamshire County Council’s highways department also raised no objections, as well as Nottinghamshire Police.

There were also no letters of objection or support from neighbouring homes during a public consultation.

It follows the Harworth Group lodging plans in December to improve the existing road network so the third and final phase of 655 homes can come forwards.

Works included improvements to an existing access point so a proper road can be built between Blyth Road and Brinsley Way.

This would involve two junctions being created on the improved road, which would be about 775 metres long, to “facilitate future access” for the third phase.

A third access would also be created for future access to a planned public open space, separate planning documents revealed last winter.

The road works were submitted by planning consultant Zerum on behalf of Harworth Group Plc in December.

Tim Cook, Zerum’s divisional director, said at the time: “The proposals will improve the existing access road to create a highway to an adoptable standard between Blyth Road and Brinsley Way.”

Other housebuilders already on the development include Kier, Jones Homes and Miller Homes.

It follows the former colliery’s demolition in 2016 after more than 80 years of operations.

The landowner previously said: “The proposal will unlock the regeneration of a major brownfield site and diversify the local housing offer in line with known demand.”

Follow The Wire on TikTok, Facebook, X, Instagram. Send your story to newsdesk@westbridgfordwire.com or via WhatsApp on 0115 772 0418

Categories:
 

Latest