14.1 C
West Bridgford
Tuesday, June 25, 2019

Nottingham boy 14, who was murdered in London named by Met Police

PUBLISHED:

Detectives investigating the murder of a 14-year-old boy in Leyton have confirmed his identity.

While formal identification awaits, next of kin have been informed and the deceased is Jayden Moodie, 14, from the Waltham Forest area.

banner ad

Jayden is believed to be from the Arnold area of Nottingham, having recently moved to London.

The investigation was launched after police were called to Bickley Road, E10 shortly before 18.30hrs on Tuesday, 8 January to reports of a road traffic collision.

Officers and paramedics from the London Ambulance Service attended.

Jayden was found with stab injuries. It has been established by detectives Jayden was riding a moped that had been involved in a collision with a car.

It is believed that three males got out of the car and then stabbed Jayden before returning to the vehicle and driving off.

Despite efforts of paramedics, Jayden died at 19.09hrs.

Efforts to trace the vehicle involved, which is believed to be a black Mercedes B Class with extensive frontal damage, continue.

Detectives from the Homicide and Major Crime team led by Detective Inspector Chris Soole investigate. DCI Soole said:

“Any murder is appalling but the death of a 14-year-old boy is particularly shocking.

“Everything we know so far points to the fact that this appears to be a targeted attack and those who carried it out had only one objective which was to inflict fatal injuries on Jayden.

“We continue to investigate why Jayden was singled out and retain an open mind at this time.

“My team is working tirelessly to apprehend those responsible for this cowardly attack and I would appeal to anyone who has information that could assist this investigation to come forward and speak to police or Crimestoppers.”

Chief Superintendent Richard Tucker, the Commander of the North East Command Unit which covers the borough of Waltham Forest, said:

“Everyone is shocked and appalled by this murder. The age of the victim, a boy aged 14, beggars belief and I completely understand the alarm and concern it has raised from those who live and work in the area.

“Colleagues from the Homicide and Major Crime Command continue their painstaking work to piece together the details of the attack. A section 60 was put in place following this incident and is being continually reviewed.

“I would urge the local community to be patient and cooperate where possible with the work detectives are getting on with in the area.

“My officers will be out working to support investigators today and be there to talk to the public and listen to the concerns they have. Neighbourhood patrols will be stepped up in the area and locals can expect to see more police. I would urge anyone with information on the attack to contact police without delay.”

No arrests have been made. Enquiries continue.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the incident room on 020 8345 3734 or tweet information to @MetCC.

Alternatively, call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

GET DAILY NEWS UPDATES BY EMAIL

Get all the day's stories and events from The Wire delivered in ONE email every day

21,342FansLike
14,326FollowersFollow
24,109FollowersFollow
255SubscribersSign Up

TOP STORIES