The leader of Nottingham City Council Cllr David Mellen has this message for the community after Nottingham and Nottinghamshire approaches Tier 2 measures.
Cllr Mellen said:
‘Tomorrow the new ‘High’ level of restrictions imposed by Government come into effect. It’s crucial that everyone in Nottingham plays their part to help bring the spread of the virus under control.
‘We have been placed in this category by Government because our Covid infection rates are going up too quickly.
• Police fine eight Nottingham students and warn 26 others after parties hosted
• 13 October: Coronavirus: 767 new cases in Notts – 493 of them in Nottingham city
• 13 October – Coronavirus Nottingham City: 493 new cases today as city on High Alert
‘We need everyone, young and old, to take this seriously. If we carry on as we are, we risk more people contracting this terrible disease. We also risk being placed under even stricter restrictions by Government which will impact on everyone’s lives even more significantly.
The new rules, on top of the existing Hands, Space, Face and Rule of Six guidance, are:
- People must not meet with anybody outside their household or support bubble in any indoor setting, whether at home or in a public place
- People must not meet in a group of more than six outside, including in a garden or other space.
- People should aim to reduce the number of journeys they make where possible. If they need to travel, they should walk or cycle where possible, or plan ahead and avoid busy times and routes on public transport.