Four years ago, we saw one of the largest fires in Nottinghamshire’s recent history.
The Cattle Market fire broke out on 4 November 2018, and one year ago a man was sentenced after pleading guilty to deliberate ignition.
The man let off fireworks at the historic Cattle Market site, and one of the rockets he fired went under the shutter of one of the properties – where it ignited.
The fire quickly spread to other industrial units and ripped through the site, significantly damaging nine businesses, and destroying two completely.
Fire Investigation Manager, Lucie Poxon, said: “After inspecting the scene shortly after the incident occurred it became apparent that the cause of the fire was ignition to combustible items within a business which then spread to various industrial units.”
She said she hopes this incident will become a lesson for those planning to use fireworks.
“It is always better to go to organised firework displays however if you are using fireworks, please ensure you use them away from people, houses and flammable materials.”
“Respect those around you this Bonfire Night, and please enjoy fireworks safely,” she added.