There’s nothing like a bit of dreary British weather to focus people’s minds on an overseas holiday and warmer climes.
Tour operators across the East Midlands are reporting a sudden influx of bookings as temperatures tumble to what feels more like autumn. And if people haven’t yet booked a summer get-away, this is the year to bag a last-minute bargain.
According to the travel industry, holidaymakers are leaving it later than ever to book. Many people are hedging their bets as last year’s glorious summer is still relatively fresh in the memory.
Heidi Barlow, East Midlands Airport’s Head of Marketing, says: “While we all hope for some better weather in the UK, the quirks of being a small coastal northern hemisphere island means that prolonged high pressures and glorious sunshine are never guaranteed. So, if it’s wall-to-wall sunshine you want, you’re better off jumping on a plane.”
As well as the newly launched Thira (Santorini) service doing well, other destinations that have seen strong year-on-year growth from East Midlands Airport are Tenerife, Rhodes, Faro and Mahon (Menorca).
The Eastern Med and Eastern European resorts are also proving popular (bookings to Dalaman are up on this time last year) as cheaper alternatives to Southern Spain and Portugal. Back in April, EMA saw a significant 20 per cent increase in passengers travelling to Turkey.
Heid continues: “Booking very last minute does require an element of holding your nerve. If you already have time booked off, but haven’t yet decided where to go, and are prepared to take a bit of a gamble, it can pay off to leave it late.”
An example of the deals currently available, with flights from EMA*, include:
Jet2 are offering free child places on some routes
– Tui: departing 18 June, one-week half-board in Croatia from £489 per person
– Tui: one week self-catering to Kavos on 29 July from £295 per person
– Thomas Cook: flying 21 June, one-week self-catering in Tenerife from £325 per person
– Thomas Cook: departing 31 July, one-week self-catering in Ibiza from £467 per person
– Thomas Cook: flying 12 August, one-week self-catering to Corfu for two adults and two children from £1858 (total price)
– Jet2 Holidays: flying 15 August to Antalya (Turkey) one week self-catering for two adults and two children from £1632 (total price)
– Jet2 Holidays: flying Mon 17 June to Antalya, one week ALL INCLUSIVE for 2 adults from £460 per person
– Jet2 Holidays: flying 9 August to Costa De Almeria (Spain), one week self-catering for two adults and two children from £1756 (total price)