13.1 C
West Bridgford
Wednesday, May 22, 2019

Planning a street party? The deadline for applications is soon


Nottinghamshire residents planning a street party to celebrate the Royal Wedding between Prince Harry and Meghan Markle on 19 May only have a couple of weeks left to apply for a road closure.

Nottinghamshire County Council is waiving normal road closure charges for the royal celebrations, but party organisers still need to apply for a road closure by 4 May, at the very latest.

banner ad

All potential road closures will be assessed. Where locations are approved, the Council will provide organisers with required traffic signs for use on the day of the celebrations. Employees from Via East Midlands, which provides highways services on behalf of the County Council, will deliver signs to a pre-arranged address and collect them after the event.


To apply for a road closure, please register your event on the Nottinghamshire County Council website: www.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/roadevents or call the Customer Service Centre on 0300 500 8080

Councillor Kay Cutts, Leader of Nottinghamshire County Council, said: “Major royal events like the forthcoming marriage of Harry and Meghan bring the country and local communities together to celebrate, which is a wonderful thing.

READ: West Bridgford road closures for Royal Wedding street parties

“I am delighted that we have been able to play our part in making it easier for people to hold street parties by waiving the usual fees and I hope as many areas as possible take advantage of the opportunity to take part in the celebrations.

“Every street wanting to host a party must be properly assessed though, so organisers must register by 4 May at the very latest.”


Get all the day's stories and events from The Wire delivered in ONE email every day

237SubscribersSign Up