14.6 C
West Bridgford
Thursday, August 22, 2019

Police did all they could to save man who died after arrest, says IOPC


An Independent Office of Police Conduct (IOPC) investigation into police contact with a man who died following his arrest, found that officers acted appropriately and did all they could to save him.

Cain Hargreaves, 21, was arrested at home in Carlton on suspicion of drink driving on 5 January 2018. His car had been involved in a collision.

banner ad

Mr Hargreaves suffered a seizure in the back of a police car as officers began to drive him to the Bridewell custody suite.

ACC Kate Meynell said: “I would like to send our condolences to Mr Hargreaves’ family and friends, following this tragic incident.

“The officers who dealt with Cain Hargreaves after he was arrested in January did everything they could in an attempt to save his life after he became unwell.

“The IOPC’s investigation confirmed that Mr Hargreaves wasn’t showing any signs of injury before the officers decided to take him into custody, and once they were aware that he had taken ill, first aid and CPR was carried out at the roadside. I am immensely proud of the officers involved; they did everything they could to try and save his life. Sadly, despite their efforts, he was pronounced dead a short time later.

“I have no doubt that since that day; these officers will have questioned whether they could have done more, replaying the situation in their minds again and again. I hope that today’s findings of this IOPC report gives them some reassurance that they acted appropriately and did all that they could.”

An inquest which finished on Friday (9 November) recorded a narrative conclusion which found that the death was drug-related, contributed to by a developmental brain abnormality.

Chair of Nottinghamshire’s Police Federation Dave Keen, said: “Having attended on the night and spoken with the officers both at the time and subsequently afterwards, I have to say their conduct and behaviour were nothing but extremely professional throughout.”

IOPC Regional Director Derrick Campbell said: “This is a tragic case where a young man who appeared fit and healthy died after becoming unwell shortly after his arrest. We found nothing to suggest that anything the police did contributed to his death.

“The information gathered by our investigator indicated that police acted appropriately and in accordance with policy throughout the incident. There was also clear evidence that when Cain became ill the officers did everything they could to try to help him and save his life, in what was a traumatic situation.”


Get all the day's stories and events from The Wire delivered in ONE email every day

268SubscribersSign Up



 Wire Daily Newsletter

Try it! You can unsubscribe at any time 
ONE email  ALL stories 

Wire Daily Newsletter

Try it! You can unsubscribe at any time