Sunday 21 July 2024
17.6 C

Police replace 4-year-old boy’s toys after house fire

Police officers gave a little boy a surprise to remember when they pulled up at his house with a van full of toys.

Four-year-old Harrison lost many of his favourite toys during an arson attack near his home in Forest Town, Mansfield.

Flames spread to his outdoor playhouse and destroyed dozens of his most treasured toys when the fire was started on the afternoon of Saturday 13 August.

Police arrested two teenagers on suspicion of arson, learned about Harrison’s toys and wanted to do something help.

PC Colin Bland, of the Mansfield Neighbourhood Policing Team, said: “This was a horrible experience for Harrison and his family and we decided we had to do something to help.

- Advertisement -

“So, using our contacts in the local community, we approached several businesses and asked them to help out with donations.

“Members of our own team also contributed and I was genuinely amazed with how much came in in such a short space of time.

“People really were amazingly generous and I was delighted to be able to deliver these toys directly to Harrison. He really is a super little boy and it was so rewarding to see his face when we arrived.

“As police officers we spend a lot of time dealing with very difficult and challenging people so it is always a joy when we are in a position to do something like this.

“Contributions were made by Smyths Toys, Argos, Tesco at Oaktree Lane, and Asda at Forest Town and I really can’t thank them enough.”

Claire Smith, Harrison’s mum, said: “The fire was really upsetting for all of us – particularly for Harrison who lost so many of his toys.

Screenshot 2022 08 14 at 13.16.41 1392x780 1

“The police have been really supportive ever since it happened but this was a total surprise for us. PC Bland said he was going to pop over to see Harrison again but this was just totally overwhelming.

“I would like to thank everyone involved in making this happen – from the officers who took part to the local businesses who have been so generous.

A 19-year-old man and a 17-year-old boy remain on police bail as investigations into the fire continue.

•  Two arrests after blaze destroys property in Forest Town


Follow The Wire on TikTok, Facebook, X, Instagram. Send your story to or via WhatsApp on 0115 772 0418