Rapist jailed for 13 years after crown court trial

A rapist has been jailed for 13 years after his victim overcame her fear and reported him to the police.

Marcus Bennett, aged 44, came to officers’ attention on 29 September last year after his victim reported receiving a series of threatening messages from him.

When discussing the messages with officers, the victim disclosed that she had been raped by the suspect three months earlier after he tricked his way into her home.

She also reported two additional instances in which he had raped her as she slept.

Bennett denied the allegations against him throughout his initial police interview.

- Advertisement -

In response to a question about whether a person could or could not consent to sex if they were asleep, Bennett said he didn’t know before later saying that they could not.

He also said he was “vexed” if sex was denied, and claimed not to have seen the victim at the time of the alleged offences.

Later photo evidence proved this was not true.

Bennett continued his denials throughout a two-week trial at Nottingham Crown Court, after which he was found guilty of two counts of rape.

Jury members heard how the victim had reported the first offence to her mother, also sending her pictures of bruises, but had been too frightened of Bennett to report it.

He was cleared of a third count of rape, and an additional charge under the Malicious Communications Act 1988 was left to lie on file.

Bennett, of Radcliffe Road, Nottingham, was sentenced on Tuesday 19 May to 13 years in prison.

He was also added to the sex offenders’ register and handed a restraining order banning him from any further contact with the victim.

Detective Constable Abigail Dorricott, of Nottinghamshire Police, said:

“Like many victims of serious sexual offences, the victim in this case was concerned that she would not be believed if she came forward and spoke to the police.

“As this case demonstrates, we take all reports of this nature extremely seriously and will leave no stone unturned in getting to the truth.

marcus bennett

“When presented with the very compelling account of the victim and the other very strong evidence against Bennett, the jury in this case was clear in its verdict.

“I am delighted for the victim that justice has now been done and pleased that Bennett can pose no further threat to her or other women.”

Rape and other serious sexual assault offences in Nottinghamshire are investigated by detectives who specialise in these offences. If you have been a victim of such an offence, whether recently or in the past, you can seek further advice and report it here.

Categories:
 

Latest