Friday 14 June 2024
12.6 C
Nottingham

Recovered burns victim thanks emergency teams for saving his life after bonfire incident

Emergency service workers were invited to Mansfield Fire Station on 2 May by local resident Derrick, as a thank you for their role in saving him when he was burned on the 7 May 2022.

Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service, EMAS and Air Ambulance medics were called to Derrick’s daughter’s garden, near Sherwood Forest, after he was involved in a bonfire incident.

Crews from Edwinstowe and Worksop Fire Stations used a high-pressure hose reel to extinguish the fire and assisted with first aid for then 81-year-old Derrick.

He was handed over to the care of EMAS and Heli-Med, with burns to his face and hands. Firefighters carried out a Safe and Well Visit with the family afterwards.

On 2 May, at an afternoon tea to celebrate and thank those involved in the emergency response, Derrick, who used to work as a firefighter, thanked all emergency service responders, praising their quick and professional response.

- Advertisement -

Derrick said “When we needed you, you all came to help us in your respective roles. You were kind, thoughtful, mindful that you were helping people in a frightening situation.

“Having been there a number of times myself, sometimes it can be tempting to go about the job and it’s duties in a routine manner. But you put me and my family at the heart of what you did that day, and it made a real difference – something which I hope (from an old timer, to those younger in their roles) you take with you and remember on every job you attend.”

Craig Parkin, Chief Fire Officer, said “we’re proud to keep our communities safe, and this is just one example of the incidents we attend every day.

“We’re grateful to be recognised by Derrick and his family, and want to thank our other emergency service responders for their professionalism and support at incidents, as always.”

Laura, the 999 Emergency Medical Advisor and Emily, one of the responding Paramedics, said “I remember going to the job, it was in the middle of nowhere… I remember it being quite calm considering, Heli-med had just landed, the fire brigade were sorting out the fire, and we managed to get the patient to the ambulance rather quickly and assess him in the ambulance. I remember treating him on the way, and him being a lovely chap.

“It’s nice to come back and meeting somebody who’s recovered, it’s not very often at all that we find out what’s happened to the patient once you drop them off at hospital.”

Chief Superintendent Suk Verma, head of local policing and specialist operations, said: “I want to thank Derrick and his family for organising the event today and recognising the work of all the first responders who attended.

“Our response officers and a team from our roads policing unit attended on the day to investigate and make sure everyone was okay and I know those who responded were so glad to hear Derrick was okay.

“It’s our job, just like the fire service and ambulance service to keep our communities safe and we’ll always be there to help those in need.”

Derrick’s family would like to get the message out to the public that twenty minutes of tepid water on burns prevents a lot of scarring and enables more recovery.

In Derrick’s case he was able to get more independence back following the incident, because of the twenty-minute water treatment that the emergency services undertook, despite undergoing surgeries and skin grafts because of the nature of the incident.

 

Follow The Wire on TikTok, Facebook, X, Instagram. Send your story to newsdesk@westbridgfordwire.com or via WhatsApp on 0115 772 0418

Categories:
 

Latest