A teenager who lay in wait before stabbing a schoolboy with a knife has been sentenced.
The 16-year-old defendant, who can’t be named for legal reasons, pleaded guilty to wounding with intent to cause GBH, possession of an offensive weapon and possession of cannabis when he appeared at Nottingham Crown Court yesterday (Monday 9 July 2018).
The court heard how the offender, who was wearing a face covering, attacked the 16-year-old victim in Ransom Road, St Ann’s, as he was walking to school on 14 May 2018.
He stabbed the victim in the buttock during the attack before walking off and entering Coppice Park where he was swiftly arrested by officers.
The victim received medical treatment at the scene before being taken to the Queen’s Medical Centre. His injuries required stitches.
The court heard how a member of the public was driving along Ransom Road when she saw two boys pushing and shoving each other.
After stopping to speak to the victim, who had been pushed into the road, she saw blood pouring down his trousers.
An officer searched the park and found the defendant. He had blood on his hands and a cut to his finger, the injuries being sustained from the knife when he stabbed the victim.
The boy told the officer a masked man in the park had slashed him on the hand before running off but he was identified as the attacker.
The court heard that officers recovered the blade of a knife in Ransom Road and a handle believed to be from the knife in Coppice Park.
DNA profiles were taken from the blade and handle and a jacket recovered from a rucksack next to where the defendant was found in the park. The samples matched the defendant’s profile. Blood found on the tip of the blade was a match for the victim.
The boy was given an 18-month detention order when he appeared in court for sentencing yesterday.
Speaking after the sentencing Detective Sergeant Frank Guddemi said: “This was a deliberate and planned attack on a schoolboy as he made his way to school.
“Our enquiries suggested the victim and defendant had been friends but they’d fallen out on a separate occasion prior to this attack.
“The mere presence of a knife in this instance has led to serious injuries and the victim was very fortunate not to have suffered even more serious injuries.”
City Chief Inspector Donna Lawton, the Force’s knife crime lead, added: “Nottinghamshire Police support the notion that knives, and other weapons, which are created for the sole purpose of causing injuries, are not welcome in our county.
“There is no need to carry a knife in Nottinghamshire. Those who do choose to carry a knife will be a much greater risk of coming to harm, and may have the very knife that they were carrying used against them.
“Knives destroy more than just a life. The real impact of carrying a knife is felt by entire families and ultimately our communities.
“As a community we are stronger when we work together. We want to work together with parents, community groups, schools, health services, local councils and other agencies to make it clear that carrying a knife should never be seen as acceptable and our lives are better without them.
“We constantly review how we can do the best we can to make Nottinghamshire even safer for you – and we know education plays a big part in that. For that reason we are reintroducing Schools and Early Intervention Officers into schools across Nottinghamshire to help educate youngsters about positive life choices, including steering clear of weapon-enabled violence.
“We also have a dedicated Knife Crime Team – the only dedicated Knife Crime Team outside of the Metropolitan Police – which is continuing to make Nottinghamshire safer by taking weapons off the streets of Nottingham.
“We all have a part to play in tackling and reducing knife crime. To be our most effective we also rely on public support.
“We would urge people to keep talking to us and give us any information they have about crimes that impact on them. The more information we have the better equipped we are to put the resources where they are most needed.”