Two jailed for homophobic attack on Nottingham man

Nottingham Crown Court
Nottingham Crown Court

Two men who subjected a man to a terrifying homophobic attack in his flat have been jailed.

Ashley Deavin, of Melford Road, Nottingham, was jailed for 15 years after being found guilty of robbery and two counts of wounding with intent.

Ryan Leverton, of no fixed abode, was jailed for eight years after being found guilty of robbery and one count of wounding with intent.

banner ad

Deavin and Leverton, both 23, demanded money from the victim and shouted homophobic abuse at him after they arrived at his flat in the Forest Fields area of Nottingham on May 3.

The court heard in a statement that the 51-year-old victim suffered slash marks to his body, head and hands after Deavin waved a knife at him during the assault.


About an hour before the assault took place the victim had driven the pair to a garage to buy some cigarettes before returning to the flat.

Planning a street party? The deadline for applications is soon

Once they were inside Deavin started punching the victim to the face, causing him to fall to the floor. Deavin and Leverton frogmarched him around the flat as they continued to demand money from him.

In a witness statement, the victim said Deavin threatened to cut his fingers off unless he gave him the money. His little finger was cut but he managed to wrestle out of Deavin’s and Leverton’s grip.

But the assault continued, with Deavin punching the victim to the head. Despite his pleas for them to stop, Deavin asked Leverton to hold his head while he threatened to cut the man’s ear off.

Again the victim managed to escape their grip. He tried to find a way to escape while the pair bagged up his property but he was grabbed again.

BBC Two Hospital: What to expect in Episode 5

The man said he felt he had to ‘fight for his life’ and ‘thought he was going to die’ before he finally managed to escape from his flat and seek help from a member of the public.


The victim, whose wounds needed stitching and gluing at the Queen’s Medical Centre, said it was a totally unprovoked attack which he believed was due to his sexual orientation.

Deavin and Leverton were sentenced at Nottingham Crown Court on Friday 4 November after being found guilty of the charges.

Temporary Detective Sergeant Sharon Powar, the officer in the case, said: “We’re pleased with these sentences which show just how committed we are to taking hate crimes seriously.

“The victim in this case showed immense bravery in coming forward and we’d encourage anyone affected by hate crime to contact us without hesitation.”