Highways Officers are working to release trapped traffic.
Update: National Highways 16:13 14 March
‘We’re now making preparations to allow traffic caught within the closure of the M1 northbound between J23 and J23A to pass the scene of the lorry fire. The carriageway will remain closed to all other traffic. We’re also now in the process of fully re-opening the southbound.’
Update: National Highways 15:58 14 March-
‘Our contractors have now assessed the damage to the bridge section which has been damaged, and confirm that the #M1 southbound between J23A and J23 #Loughborough can be re-opened shortly. The northbound carriageway will remain closed at this time. There’s a 60 minute on approach.’
The M1 in Leicestershire is closed in both directions between J23 (Loughborough) and J23a (for East Midlands Airport) due to a lorry fire.
Leicestershire Fire and Rescue crews are on scene and dealing with the fire. National Highways Traffic Officers are on scene providing assistance with traffic management.
Prior to the fire, the lorry collided with a significant amount of nearside barrier including on an elevated bridge section.
As a result, significant damage has been caused which will need to be assessed and repaired by our contractors. The vehicle has also ruptured its fuel tank, spilling diesel onto the road surface.
There is approximately 3 and a half miles of congestion in both directions approaching the closures.
Road users travelling northbound are advised to follow the solid diamond diversion symbols on road signs.
- Exit the M1 northbound at J23 and take the 1st exit onto the A512 westbound
- Continue westbound on the A512 for 8 miles until the junction with the A42 J13 at Ashby-de-la-Zouch
- Join the A42 northbound and continue for 8.6 miles
- Merge back onto the M1 northbound at J23A
Road users travelling northbound are advised to follow the hollow diamond diversion symbol on road signs.
- Exit the M1 southbound at J23a and take the free flow slip road onto the A42 south/westbound
- Continue on the A42 for 8.6 miles to J13 at Ashby-de-la-Zouch
- At the interchange, take the 1st exit (left) onto the A512
- Continue westbound along the A512 for 8 miles until the M1 J23 interchange
- At the interchange, take the 3rd exit and re-join the M1 southbound