Thursday 22 February 2024
10.1 C

Warning after cannabis grow causes Nottingham house fire

Police are warning residents of the life-threatening dangers that cannabis production can pose after a house fire.

Firefighters were tackling the blaze in Harwill Crescent, Aspley, when a cannabis grow was discovered.

Officers were called to the scene, where it was also discovered that the electricity meter had been bypassed.

The dangerous set-up was later discovered to be the most likely cause of the fire, where the contents of the roof area were destroyed and two residential properties were significantly damaged.

Fortunately, no injuries were sustained as a result of the incident on 18 September 2021.

- Advertisement -

Residents are now being reminded of a number of signs which could suggest that cannabis is being grown in a property, and are being urged to call police if they suspect that this is happening.

PC Jonathan Stubbings, from Nottinghamshire Police, said: “This incident goes to show how cultivating cannabis, as well as being illegal and having significant criminal implications, can cause substantial safety concerns not only in terms of the property that is hosting the grow, but also for neighbouring houses and other residents.

“Drugs production can also correlate to more serious, organised crime, and so not only are offenders creating a safety hazard, but they are also causing wider harm to communities. Therefore, it is something we take extremely seriously and work proactively through our Operation Reacher teams and proactive neighbourhood policing work to identify and intercept.

“We are asking people to keep their eyes out for a number of signs which could indicate that cannabis is being grown, and to report this where they suspect it is happening.”

PC Stubbings says residents should look out for the following:

  • Residents of properties who have moved in within the last year or two who are hardly seen – houses where there appears to be someone present never leaves the house.
  • Sporadic smells of Cannabis emanating from the property, often coming and going for a week or two at a time, and often strongest in the loft area.
  • Sounds of fans or a consistent humming noise coming from the property, often heard strongest in the loft area
  • Makeshift wiring or DIY electrical handy work noticed on the outside of the property

Area Manager Bryn Coleman of Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “This incident shows that inappropriate use of electrical systems or lighting can lead to devastating consequences for your home and surrounding neighbours; causing extensive damage and could even lead to loss of life.

“Six appliances responded to this incident and the swift action by our firefighters on scene prevented this fire from becoming worse than it was.”

Get one email every day with all the stories. Sign up to our daily newsletter here