Sunday 25 February 2024
7.1 C
Nottingham

Warning after faulty laptop causes fire that destroyed Nottingham home

A fire investigation has found that lithium-ion battery failure within a laptop left on charge overnight caused a fire that left a Woodthorpe home destroyed.

Around 3.35am on 26 June 2023 we were called to a house fire on The Crescent in Woodthorpe, Nottingham.

Smoke alarms sounded meaning that the family of four had a chance to escape without injury. Had smoke alarms not been installed or working, the consequences could have been devastating.

dsc 0052.jpg scaled
© Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service
The laptop

Beth Hayman, Fire Investigation Officer, said: “This is a very devastating incident in which a family lost their house and belongings.

“I urge everyone not to continuously charge electrical devices and to ensure they are switched off at the wall socket overnight. When charging devices ensure they are charged using the manufactured product from the device provider.

- Advertisement -

“Fortunately, due to the working smoke alarms within the property, the family managed to escape to safety. Make sure you test your regularly as they save lives.”

dsc 0044.jpg scaled
© Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service

Anyone unable to consider the fire risk in their home, is asked to arrange a free Safe and Well visit through the Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service website.

•  Family saved by smoke alarms after fire destroys Nottingham home

•  Woman dies after house fire in Nottinghamshire

Follow The Wire on TikTok, Facebook, X, Instagram. Send your story to newsdesk@westbridgfordwire.com or via WhatsApp on 0115 772 0418

Categories:
 

Latest