Wednesday 22 May 2024
13 C
Nottingham

Warning as man is hospitalised after cooking oil fire in Nottingham

An adult male and female and three children were evacuated from the property.

Nottinghamshire residents are being reminded to install smoke alarms and of the dangers of hot cooking oil after an incident in Bilborough on Tuesday 24 August.

At around 2pm two fire engines from Stockhill were called to a fire in the kitchen at a business on Chingford Road in Bilborough, Nottingham.

Smoke was coming from a duct and filling the property.

Firefighter Thomas and Firefighter Parish entered the property with breathing apparatus to evacuate the family and look for any other people.

E IZGj2WQAoA0UV

- Advertisement -

An adult male and female and three children were evacuated from the property.

Crews quickly deployed a hose reel jet to extinguish the fire.

A pan of cooking oil had caught fire in the kitchen of the property.

A 38-year-old man had carried the pan outside the property, causing burning oil to spill onto both of his arms. He was treated on scene by firefighters and paramedics for his injuries, then transported to hospital by ambulance.

E IZGj5WYAcjbCV scaled

No other members of the family sustained injuries.

The response from Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service involved fire crews, Fire Investigation and Fire Protection.

Watch Manager Daniel Palmer said: “Crews worked quickly to evacuate the family from the house and to give immediate medical attention to a man who was suffering from burns to both of his arms and smoke inhalation.

“We were glad to be able to help this family and prevent the fire from spreading to other parts of the property. We hope the injured man makes a swift and full recovery.”

Group Manager David Stevenson, who also attended the incident, said: “This business, and the living accommodation above, had no smoke alarms or proper fire doors which would slow down the spread of fire. Had this fire broken out during the night and no one been alerted, we could have been facing a much more serious incident.

“We would like to remind people that they should not use water on cooking oil fires or attempt to move the pan. They should use a fire blanket or, if the blaze is too big, get out, stay out and call 999.”

Follow The Wire on TikTok, Facebook, X, Instagram. Send your story to newsdesk@westbridgfordwire.com or via WhatsApp on 0115 772 0418

 

Latest