5.2 C
West Bridgford
Thursday, 15 April 2021

Woman’s life saved by smoke alert notification system at her Nottinghamshire home

Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service firefighters from Southwell and Carlton Stations were called to her home at 11.53pm on Monday 11 January.

1

The life of an elderly woman was probably saved by the telecare monitoring and alarm system in her Bleasby home during a fire last night (Monday 11 January.)

 

Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service firefighters from Southwell and Carlton Stations were called to her home at 11.53pm but, fortunately, the occupier had already been awoken by a telephone call from the alarm system.

hph
1 1

The system, having detected smoke, had also alerted a designated neighbour who had helped the woman get out safely.

138065068 3611865422261174 1021647541599170637 n
© Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service

 

The fire had been started by coal fire embers placed in a wheelie bin and had spread to the roof of the property.  The firefighters spent two hours dealing with the fire.

138779076 3611865508927832 1584977514188848741 n
© Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service

Fire safety information for older people is available on the NFRS website at this page and information about telecare monitoring systems is available from the Technology Enabled Care Services Association (TSA) at https://www.tsa-voice.org.uk/support-at-home/.

 

Group Manager Tom Archer said: “The lady was woken up by her telecare system which rang her and got her out of bed.  Then, she was escorted out by her designated contact – a neighbour.

“I’m sure that we would have been dealing with a far more serious incident if it had not been for the system.  Thankfully, the lady is safe and well and I would like to encourage other older or vulnerable people to consider installing one of these systems.  We also offer personalised home safety advice for vulnerable people.”

 

“We would also like to remind people to make sure that ashes from open fires or stoves are completely cold before putting them in the bin.”