Works will take place to make the following improvements:
- Dedicated segregated cycleway from London Road junction to join the recently completed Station Street cycleway
- Dedicated marked on-road cycleway for east/west cycle movements across the junction
- Right turn for cyclists facility (see below for further details)
- Signal pedestrian and cycle crossings on all arms of the junction
- Junction and footpath resurfacing
The junction will use a two-stage turn arrangement to enable cyclists to turn right without having to move to the centre of the carriageway.
This has been provided where cyclists arrive at the junction on the carriageway rather than the new segregated facilities and need to make a move banned for motor traffic.
Cyclists will need to pull into an area of the carriageway in advance of the stop line and pedestrian crossing on their left, turn and face the direction of travel, and wait there until that junction approach has a green signal.
At that point, cyclists travel forwards to complete their right turn. The waiting area is indicated by cycle symbols and a right-turn arrow.