Sunday 28 November 2021
-0.9 C
Nottingham

77-home Keyworth development refused by planning committee

Plans for a housing development next to a working farm were turned down last night after residents claimed it would have had a negative impact on the lives of new owners.

A total of 99 residents objected to Barratt Homes’ plans to build 77 new homes in Bunny Lane, Keyworth.

After the discussion, Councillor Rod Jones (Lib Dem) described a council report on the plans as “rubbish” and said he was “disgusted” that Environmental Health accepted it.

Rushcliffe Borough Council planning committee unanimously turned down the application after Cllr Jones put forward a motion to vote against the plans.

Councillors said Keyworth had already accepted more than 600 homes as required by the Local Plan Part 2 – a document setting out where housing should be built in the area.

Speaking after the planning meeting on 11 November, resident Peter Hopson claimed: “It would disadvantage everyone to going to buy one of those properties.

- Advertisement -

“For us, being 150 metres away from the farm mitigates some of the flies and odour but not all of it.

“New buildings would be within 50 metres of the farm in many circumstances.”

Councillor Andrew Edyvean (Con) expressed the “depth of feeling in the community” about the plans during the meeting.

He said: “This application flies in the face of local democracy.

“What will happen six months after it is occupied, when the new owners start to complain about the noise, smell and insects, there will be a choice to ignore the complainants or to destroy the farmer’s livelihood.

“This is a disaster waiting to happen for anyone who would be unfortunate enough to buy a house on this development.”

Mary Butler also gave a speech objecting to the plans.

She said the plans had been “hanging over residents” for two years.

She said: “This report fails to explain why 77 homes are necessary or justifiable on this site.

“Smell, noise and vermin are inevitable in livestock farming. I live 150 metres away and I am affected by noise, flies and smells. It is obvious that new residents will be.”

But the planning officer stated: “The site is allocated in the local plan, we do need to be mindful of that.

“Assessment of noise and odour was undertaken and Environmental Health officers have assessed the reports and found them acceptable.”

A spokesperson for Barratt Homes said during the meeting: “Extensive discussion, dialogue and negotiation has taken place with your officers to test our scheme against planning policy.

“Regrettably some stakeholders still object, namely Keyworth Parish Council and neighbouring residents.

“We have engaged with them endeavouring to narrow differences and address concerns.

“The applicant Barratt Homes has a proven track record of delivering major residential development across Rushcliffe. This one would be no exception.”

 

 

 

MORE NEWS

Update: 100 firefighters tackle major fire in Nottingham

Firefighters from stations across the county are at the scene. Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service said tonight:'Over 100 firefighters continue to tackle a significant metal...

Video: West Bridgford Christmas lights and fireworks display

Hundreds of people packed into Central Avenue today Saturday 27 November to see the official Christmas lights switch-on.The Mayor of Rushcliffe, Cllr Sue...

Nottingham case of new Covid-19 Omicron variant one of two UK cases identified

After overnight genome sequencing, the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) has confirmed that two cases of COVID-19 with mutations consistent with B.1.1.529 have been...