Saturday 2 March 2024
5.9 C

Man who shot his uncle in the back faces nine years in jail

A man who shot his uncle in the back after a family fall-out has today been jailed.

Jeremiah Price was one of five members of the Price family who carried out the assault on their relative, which started with a physical assault before escalating to a machete attack and a gunshot.

Jeremiah Price went on the run with his brother, Abraham Price, for four months after the shooting but they were finally caught thanks to a monumental effort involving Nottinghamshire Police teams.

Resources including a police helicopter were deployed as officers closed in on the pair who had fled to Carrington in Manchester.

They tried to escape by jumping into a fast-flowing river but both were arrested on 20 October 2020.

- Advertisement -

Jeremiah Price, aged 25, from Manchester Road, Carrington, Manchester, went on to plead guilty to causing grievous bodily harm with intent and possession of a firearm with intent to endanger life. He was jailed for a total of nine years when he appeared at Nottingham Crown Court today (4 October 2021) for sentencing.

He shot his 39-year-old uncle in the back after his father, Rudolph Price, had had an argument with him over business interests and a fight was arranged to settle matters.

It led to the victim being confronted by five members of his family – his brother Rudolph and his nephews Jeremiah, Abraham, Danny Price and Samson Price, outside his home in Newark, on the afternoon of 17 June 2020.

The victim was assaulted by Rudolph before Abraham swung a machete at him, hitting him on his arm and back.

Jeremiah then shot his uncle in the back with a shotgun.

Other people who were at the scene managed to pull the attackers off the victim before he was taken to hospital by one of his other brothers.

Abraham Price, aged 26, from Tolney Lane, Newark, admitted grievous bodily harm with intent and possession of an offensive weapon. He was handed a nine-year sentence.

Rudolph Price, aged 51, from Tolney Lane, Newark, also admitted grievous bodily harm with intent and was given a sentence of nine years and six months.

Danny Price, aged 23, from Tolney Lane, Newark, admitted wounding with intent. He was handed a sentence of nine years and six months.

Samson Price, aged 18, from Tolney Lane, Newark, pleaded guilty to affray. He was sentenced to 14 months in prison, suspended for 21 months, and ordered to do 200 hours’ unpaid work.

Detective Inspector Gayle Hart, from Nottinghamshire Police, said: “Thankfully incidents involving firearms in Nottinghamshire are very rare but this was a shocking act of violence.

“The victim thought he was going to die and was very fortunate not to have been even more seriously injured.

“I want to reassure people that Nottinghamshire Police treats all reports involving firearms and violence extremely seriously and will relentlessly pursue those involved in such acts of violence.

“I would also like to pay tribute to the professionalism and dedication of officers, staff and police departments who worked on this complex case and whose tireless work resulted in us locating offenders and bringing them to justice.”

Also as part of the wider police operation 44-year-old Thomas Hallissey, from Tolney Lane, Newark, was sentenced to four years today at Nottingham Crown Court after pleading guilty to one count of witness intimidation.

He is alleged to have gone into the victim’s address and was filmed videoed making threats to kill the victim and his family, which was posted on social media, the court heard.

Follow The Wire on TikTok, Facebook, X, Instagram. Send your story to or via WhatsApp on 0115 772 0418