Nottingham City Council’s hopes of landing £20m for the Broad Marsh redevelopment have been dashed after missing out on Levelling Up cash for the third time.
The Labour-run council had hoped to secure the money to transform the former shopping centre’s frame, with work on the Green Heart Park area already taking place and the Central Library due to open on November 28.
The Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities has been awarding money from its flagship £4.8 billion Levelling Up Fund in tranches.
Successful bidders in the third round, for the remaining £1.1bn, were announced on Monday, November 20.
While the council was not awarded any money to redevelop the former Broad Marsh shopping centre or the Island Quarter, the Government said it will be providing Bulwell with almost £20m.
Nottingham City Council’s leader, Cllr David Mellen (Lab), said: “Nottingham had bid for a total of £57 million for Bulwell, Broad Marsh and the Island Quarter from round two of the Levelling Fund last year but didn’t receive a penny so we’re pleased that it’s finally been announced today that Bulwell will receive funding.
“Bulwell town centre is an important part of the city which serves several communities, and we welcome this much-needed investment.
“However, it’s a big disappointment that the site of the former Broad Marsh shopping centre has once again been left out.
“It’s one of the most significant city centre development sites anywhere in the UK which would bring major benefits to local people including up to 1,000 new homes and more than 6,000 jobs.”
Cllr Mellen added the work on the wider site will continue, including how best to secure support from the public and private sector in the future.
In Bulwell, the money will be used to improve key amenities and links to transport services, including enhancing the green space and public realm alongside the River Leen.
Improvements will also be made to the marketplace and enhance connectivity between Bulwell Bogs, the tram stop, the bus station, market place and high streets.
Alex Norris, Labour MP for Nottingham North, added: “We know this is a small slice of the huge amount of money we’ve lost over the last 13 years, but it is good news and if we do it right, we can transform our town.”
The Government says priorities in the third round included improving transport and connections, tackling crime and anti-social behaviour and making high streets more attractive.
The money comes on top of tens of millions of pounds in separate funding already confirmed for various parts of the city and county.
Other areas of the county to receive money in the third round include Newark and Sherwood, where the money will go towards a town centre hub in Ollerton and a sustainable industrial estate in Clipstone, alongside sports and education facilities.
Gedling missed out on funding for the third time, prompting anger from deputy leader Cllr Michael Payne (Lab), who said: “A further £1.1 billion dished out by the Conservative Government…with no bids and still not a single penny for Gedling.”
Levelling up Secretary Michael Gove added: “Today we are backing 55 projects across the UK with £1 billion to create new jobs and opportunities, power economic growth, and revitalise local areas.
“This funding sits alongside our wider initiatives to spread growth, through devolving more money and power out of Westminster to towns and cities, putting in place bespoke interventions to places that need it most, and our Long-Term Plan for towns.”