Sunday 14 July 2024
17.1 C
Nottingham

Nottingham Castle gets 20,000 visitors in first month

More than 20,000 people have passed through the gates of Nottingham Castle since it reopened under Nottingham City Council’s control on June 26.

A three-year restoration project of the historic site, costing more than £30m, was completed in 2021.

Nottingham Castle Trust was set up to run the attraction initially and said it would become “world-class”, rivalling Warwick and York.

Each day it had been welcoming 500 visitors per day during the week, rising to 800 per day at weekends.

Cllr Pavlos Kotsonis (Lab), who has been behind the council’s reopening plan, said a target of 200,000 per year had been set by the authority.

- Advertisement -

Now, a month after it reopened, the council says more than 20,000 people have passed through the gates.

Cllr Kotsonis said: “It’s been great to see so many people returning to Nottingham’s premier heritage attraction over the last month.

“Our new tickets, allowing people to return as many times as they like for a year for just £12 and bring the kids for free, is set to particularly benefit local people.

“We hope people will come back again and again over the summer, whether it’s to immerse themselves in the fascinating galleries, descend into the amazing caves beneath the castle, or simply stroll around the beautiful grounds and take in the stunning views over the city.”

The council has reopened the site with an annual adult pass ticket costing £12, while children under 15 get in for free.

To visit the Mortimer’s Hole cave, it costs an additional £5.

According to the council, the castle will also be hosting a programme of Open Air Theatre, including David Walliams’ Bad Dad for younger children and MacHamLear for older children and adults.

Adult tickets will cost £18 and a child £11.

Follow The Wire on TikTok, Facebook, X, Instagram. Send your story to newsdesk@westbridgfordwire.com or via WhatsApp on 0115 772 0418

Categories:
 

Latest