-2.2 C
West Bridgford
Sunday, 24 January 2021

Nottingham paedophile jailed for seven years after police work for over a year to get conviction

He was sentenced at Nottingham Crown Court yesterday (Thursday 12 November) to seven years, three months in prison.

More stories like this in >


WBWire covid19 728x90 1

A sex offender was ‘sounded’ out by officers who rang his mobile phone after he claimed he didn’t have one and didn’t use the internet.

Detectives from Nottinghamshire’s Public Protection team had been investigating Christopher Farrow for more than a year when they turned up at his house in Bluecoat Close, Nottingham on 31 July 2020 and arrested him for sexual communications with a child.

The 60-year-old was escorted away after declaring his innocence claiming he didn’t even have a mobile phone.

banner ad
1 4

Officers then rang the number they had from the numerous enquiries they’d conducted and the hiding place was revealed when officers removed the surround to the fireplace.

Indecent images of children were found on the phone along with chats and evidence that Farrow had been distributed images to others.

Nottinghamshire Police enquiries began in April 2019 when the National Crime Agency informed the force that he had uploaded an indecent image of a child onto the internet.

He was arrested on suspicion of indecent of images of children and released under investigation.

A further three more referrals were received in relation to Farrow uploading indecent images of children to the internet but he refused to cooperate with police and claimed he never used his mobile phone.

Enquiries with his phone provider and examinations of the handset showed he had been using the phone on a daily basis and he was charged with failing to disclose the key to protected information and a trial was set for January 2021 after he pleaded not guilty.

On 21 July, Farrow contacted a 14-year-old boy on social media who was actually an undercover police officer.

Under the user name ‘Gooddadof A Son’, his conversations became highly sexual and he sent an indecent image of himself.

After his arrest ten days later and the discovery of his phone in the fireplace, he was charged with attempting to engage in sexual communications with a child, three counts of making indecent images of children and three counts of distributing indecent images of children to which he pleaded guilty along with the charge of failing to disclose the key to protected information.

He was sentenced at Nottingham Crown Court yesterday (Thursday 12 November) to seven years, three months in prison.

Detective Constable Andrew Taylor, who led the investigation, said: “Farrow refused to cooperate with our enquiries and kept trying to cover up his tracks but we were determined to ensure he was brought to justice.

“He’s a dangerous sex offender and we’re glad he’s now behind bars, unable to cause any more harm.

“Child sex offences of any kind are taken incredibly seriously and we have a number of tactics in place to catch offenders out.

“No child should be subjected to any sexual offence and it’s our duty to protect them.”