Sunday 14 July 2024
17.1 C
Nottingham

Three children injured in Nottingham fire caused by exploding lithium-ion battery

A warning has been issued about the dangers of lithium-ion batteries following a fire on Monday 10 July in which three children were injured.

 

At 5:46pm on Monday 10 July Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service were called to a house fire on Longford Crescent in Bulwell.

Three children injured in Nottingham fire

Fire crews from Stockhill, Arnold and Hucknall attended the fire.

Three children were rescued from the house by a neighbour, one suffering severe burns. They were taken to hospital by ambulance.

- Advertisement -

Lithium-ion battery exploded

The fire was caused by a fault in a large lithium-ion battery. This exploded causing serious burn injuries to one of the children.

Beth Hayman, Fire Investigation Officer, said: “We would like to wish a speedy recovery to those injured and affected in the incident earlier this week.

0 1

“Lithium-ion batteries can be found in everyday technology and household items such as laptops, mobile phones, e-cigarettes, e-scooters and DIY tools.

“If not handled and cared for correctly, can become extremely dangerous and behave in a volatile manner causing catastrophic damage and injuries.”

Advice about batteries

Here are our tips to keep you and your family safe.

  • Do not charge batteries overnight.
  • Do not charge items near escape routes.
  • Always use the charger provided by the manufacturer. If there are any signs of tear or damage, replace the charger with an official product from a reputable supplier.
  • Do not leave items continuously on charge.
  • Do not cover the battery with anything while it’s charging.
  • Do not charge or handle damaged batteries.
  • Do not attempt to tamper or fix lithium-ion batteries.
  • Dispose of old or damaged lithium-ion batteries at your nearest battery recycling bank.

Help for residents

Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service will be visiting residents around Longford Crescent on Monday 17 July to reassure residents and offer free Safe and Well visits to check smoke alarms.

Follow The Wire on TikTok, Facebook, X, Instagram. Send your story to newsdesk@westbridgfordwire.com or via WhatsApp on 0115 772 0418

 

Latest