Wednesday 22 May 2024
13 C
Nottingham

£150,000 funding for Nottingham city’s homeless

More than £150,000 of funding will be pumped into ensuring rough sleepers are supported and taken off the streets of Nottingham.

Nottingham City Council has accepted government funding which will ensure it can provide more bed spaces for those made homeless.

The council said that 110 different individuals were identified as rough sleepers in the city last year on ‘one or more nights in an average month.’

The council has accepted £61,593 revenue funding from the Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities and £106,920 capital from the Government’s Homes England to provide ‘move on accommodation’ to rough sleepers in Nottingham.

The five homes being introduced through this grant funding will be provided as move on accommodation for up to two years for rough sleepers currently in emergency accommodation but who would thrive well in an independent living setting with in-reach support.

- Advertisement -

It would also provide for “more entrenched” rough sleepers who have not previously achieved positive outcomes from shared supported accommodation and for whom a housing-led approach in a self-contained property will better meet their needs.

The council said: “In 2021, 110 different individuals were identified by the street outreach team as rough sleeping in Nottingham on one or more nights in an average month.

“Nottingham City Council and partners maximise all opportunities to secure government grant funding to deliver a system of services to reduce rough sleeping.

“However, new flow to street homelessness is a significant challenge,
accounting for half of all individuals seen over 2021.

“At the time of the bid for round three funding, it was assumed that
there was a total of 69 rough sleepers in Nottingham (31 found at the August 2021 street outreach count and a further 38 sheltered in rough-sleeper-specific emergency accommodation).

“Through the remaining planned delivery of round one and two, we will be providing homes to 21 of these individuals, leaving 48 rough sleepers in need of settled accommodation.

“The round three proposal provides capital funding for repair, refurbishment, additional housing management and maintenance of five Nottingham City Council owned and Nottingham City Homes managed one bedroom properties to be let to rough sleepers.

“The proposal also contains revenue funding for the delivery of a wraparound
housing led approach to support to the new residents from Framework Housing Association.

“The five homes provide a long term housing option for individuals with limited options and whom without the additional accommodation and support risk remaining street homeless or bed-blocking supported accommodation.”

The funding was approved under a delegated decision, which means it was decided outside of a council meeting.

Follow The Wire on TikTok, Facebook, X, Instagram. Send your story to newsdesk@westbridgfordwire.com or via WhatsApp on 0115 772 0418

Categories:
 

Latest