Councillor Debbie Darby has praised the “…amazing community spirit” after a devastating house fire during Easter on Middleton Road in Newark.
The four occupants of the house were rehoused in temporary accommodation as their property was destroyed.
They have now been rehoused and are back at work.
After an appeal from Councillor Darby – dozens of residents contributed to a relief fund as the Lithuanian Family had lost all their possessions.
ASDA Newark donated clothes and toiletries, Acorn Taxis donated a £50 Peacocks’ Voucher, a neighbour donated a washing machine, a charity provided beds, the Salvation Army provided a freezer and clothes and neighbours donated various items.
Councillor Darby, an Independent Nottinghamshire County Councillor for Collingham which includes Newark said: “The fire on Bank Holiday Monday – 18 April shocked the whole Newark Community.
“As soon as I became aware of the fire – I dropped everything to help. We found temporary accommodation for them that was threadbare.
“After a post on social media – the community rallied around in a way that only Newark folk do. People, businesses and charities were amazingly generous and I can’t thank them enough. They have made a real positive difference to this family.
“When you look at the aftermath of the fire – it’s lucky that lives weren’t lost. I am so proud of how the community where I am a councillor came together for this family. The family are so grateful to everyone for everything, their translator we’re the family’s guardian angels.”
The family are now in now in a new property and back at work in Newark.