The motorway remains closed in both directions at J28 – J29.
Ashfield Fire Station shared these images of the scene.
Live updates: Live updates: M1 closed both ways J28-J29 tanker fire
The M1 in Derbyshire is closed in both directions between J29 and J28 near (Mansfield) due to a tanker fire.
The M1 entry slip in both directions at J29 is also closed
Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service are in attendance working hard to extinguish the fire and ensure the scene is safe. Due to the nature of the involved vehicle, efforts are likely to be ongoing throughout the afternoon.
National Highways Traffic Officers are also in attendance and are currently turning around traffic which has been caught up within the closure. Due to the number of vehicles, this is also likely to take some time.
Road users are advised to follow the hollow square diversion symbol on road signs if heading southbound
- At M1 J29, exit onto the A617 and continue eastbound for approx. 5 miles.
- Then, take the A6075 Mansfield and Ashfield Regeneration Route (MARR), until it links up with the A38.
- Follow the A38 westbound to rejoin the M1 at J28.
Road users are advised to follow the hollow triangle diversion symbol on road signs if heading northbound
- At M1 J28, exit onto the A38 eastbound and continue for approx. 4.5 miles.
- Then, take the A6075 Mansfield and Ashfield Regeneration Route (MARR), until it links up with the A617.
- Follow the A617 westbound and re-join the M1 at J29.