Wednesday 24 April 2024
5.7 C
Nottingham

84 homes approved despite continued concerns over access and flooding

Developers have been allowed to build 84 homes in a “quiet cul-de-sac” despite continued concerns over its access, flooding and impact on the community.

Ashfield District Council’s planning committee previously deferred the development, in Fisher Close, Sutton-in-Ashfield, after feeling questions had been “left unanswered” on issues including crime management, education, and its “tight” access off Stoneyford Road.

But the development was brought back before councillors on Wednesday (October 6) and was recommended for approval after consultations addressed issues with crime and its access point.

Highways modelling by Nottinghamshire County Council and a consultant viewed the junction would remain “well within its capacity” at peak times, with minimal queuing, while the proposals put forward a new ‘ghost island’ right-turning point to access the development from Stoneyford Road.

However, some councillors on the committee continued to raise concerns over the access issue, saying the increased traffic could cause issues for cars turning onto Stoneyford Road from Fisher Close.

- Advertisement -

This came despite a developer spokesperson assuring councillors there would be a “minimal impact” on the existing road, with cameras to be brought in on the busy road to reduce speed and improve visibility.

Commenting in the meeting, Councillor Helen-Ann Smith (Ash Ind) said: “I’m not happy at all, one of the main reasons I called it in is the issue with highways. I had hoped a lot of my issues would have been alleviated but they haven’t been.

“I have got massive concerns about this development.”

Cllr Jason Zadrozny (Ash Ind), council leader, also voted against the plans and said: “I’m afraid I agree with Cllr Smith, I don’t think there’s anything in here which alleviates my concerns and [those of] the residents in the area.

“In fact, the more I hear about it, the more I’m convinced enough isn’t being done to mitigate the harm particularly on highways.”

The development was approved by a margin of five votes to three, with councillors Smith, Zadrozny and Lauren Mitchell (Lab) voting against the plans.

When the development was first assessed, councillors also raised concerns over the development’s impact on neighbouring “areas of concern”, calling for CCTV to help address crime issues as a result of the plans.

Under the amended proposals, approved by councillors this week, the applicant must contribute £16,500 to fund the installation of CCTV cameras.

These will cover the junction of Carsic Road, Northwood Avenue and Stanton Crescent.

Contributions are also being sought for education provision, aimed at supporting the creation of a new primary school in Sutton.

There will also be contributions to healthcare facilities, which in turn will lead to either a new facility, or the “reconfiguration or extension” of Skegby Family Medical Centre, Willowbrook Medical Practice, and Kings Medical Practice.

The meeting also heard concerns from a Fisher Close resident, who spoke about issues with privacy, drainage, access to services and the loss of wildlife.

Follow The Wire on TikTok, Facebook, X, Instagram. Send your story to newsdesk@westbridgfordwire.com or via WhatsApp on 0115 772 0418

Categories:
 

Latest