Crews have been working throughout the night to clear the flooding however the water remains across both lanes. The road will remain closed until the flood water recedes in the surrounding area adjacent to the carriageway.
Road users are advised to follow the solid black square diversion symbol on road signs:
- Exit the A1 at the A57 Markham Moor Interchange and take the A638 north on the Great North Road through the village of Gamston and around the village of Eaton to Retford (approximately 8km).
- Once in Retford, continue along the A638 London Road, travelling over the mini roundabout at Whitehouses Road until the London Road/Arlington Way/Carolgate signalised junction.
- Turn right (north/east) onto Arlington Way and continue straight ahead through the signalised junctions at Grove Street and Spital Hill/Chapelgate, until the A638/A620 signalised junction.
- Turn left (east) onto the A620 Amcott Way and continue straight ahead at the Morrison’s signalised junction to the A638/A620 roundabout.
- Continue straight over the roundabout onto the A638 North Road in Retford and continue north-west along the A638 for approximately 13km through the villages of Barnby Moor, Ranskill and Scrooby to the A638/A614 Hawesknest Junction.
- Turn left (south-east), onto the A614 until Blyth Interchange, then rejoin the northbound A1.