17.4 C
West Bridgford
Tuesday, 11 August 2020 - 3:31am

Warning after accidental death of Notts woman in house fire

Mr Gordon Clow said: “This is a tragic case and I share my condolences with Mrs Wightman’s friends and family.”

PUBLISHED

1
1
WBWire covid19 728x90 1
1 2
1 1 1

A 63-year-old woman died of the inhalation of combustion products and injuries sustained in a fire, an inquest heard.

 

Assistant Coroner, Gordon Clow, stated that Mrs Janis Wightman, of Birkland Drive, Edwinstowe, died after an accidental fire which took place at her home earlier this year.

1
banner ad

 

The fire in question happened on 5 February, and saw fire crews from Edwinstowe, Warsop and Worksop attend.

 

At Monday’s inquest (29 June), Mr Gordon Clow stated that Mrs Wightman’s death was the tragic consequence of the accidental ignition of her clothing or other combustible items nearby to a halogen heater she was using in her property.

 

Mr Gordon Clow said: “This is a tragic case and I share my condolences with Mrs Wightman’s friends and family.”

 

Lucie Poxon, from the Fire Investigation Team at Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service said: “We would recommend that if using a portable heater within the home, to ensure you have working smoke detection and that any portable heaters are suitably placed so that they cannot fall or be knocked over, not in close proximity to clothing or combustible items such as clothing or furniture and that they are not damaged and well maintained”.

 

“Our thoughts are with Mrs Janis Wightman’s family and friends after this tragic event.”

Subscribe to our free daily newsletter

ALL stories from The Wire delivered in ONE email every day