18.8 C
West Bridgford
Tuesday, 4 August 2020 - 11:22pm

Warning issued after cigarettes discarded outdoors start blaze in three Notts houses

PUBLISHED

1
1 2
1
WBWire covid19 728x90 1
1 1 1

Three homes in Mansfield were affected by the fire caused by smoking materials left outside.

 

On the 6 July, 2020 at 00:35, crews from Mansfield, Ashfield, Blidworth, Hucknall and Stapleford attended a house fire at Clayworth Court, Mansfield.

1
banner ad

 

Once crews had arrived, three houses were alight.

 

Ladders were used to gain access to the properties. Crews also used breathing apparatus, hose reel jets and main jets, as well as an Aerial Ladder Platform and a Welfare Unit. Nottinghamshire Police and East Midlands Ambulance Service (EMAS) were in attendance.

 

Later that same day, a joint Fire Investigation was carried out between Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service (NFRS) and Nottinghamshire Police, with assistance from the Regional Hydrocarbon Detection Dog.

 

The cause of the fire has been identified as discarded smoking materials in the rear of the garden of a property.

 

NFRS want to issue a safety message on the back of this incident, highlighting how important it is to dispose of cigarettes appropriately.

 

Fire Investigator Lucie Poxon, from the Arson Reduction Investigation Team at NFRS, said: “When smoking outside, always ensure that cigarettes are not disposed of near combustible items such as rubbish, cardboard, vegetation, leaves or dried grass, and that cigarettes are fully extinguished before placing in any ashtray, bin or other waste receptacle.”

 

It is also a fire risk to smoke indoors. If you do smoke indoors ensure cigarettes are put out right and disposed of properly, never smoke in bed and always empty ashtrays carefully.

 

Subscribe to our free daily newsletter

ALL stories from The Wire delivered in ONE email every day