Monday 4 March 2024
8 C

Nottingham man jailed after vicious bar attack

A pub-goer launched a sustained attack on a man after being told to leave a bar.

Joshua Fisher flew into a rage when the man told him to “just go” after staff refused to serve him another drink.

The 31-year-old punched him so hard it caused him to fall backwards across the room.

When he got up, Fisher threw off his coat before again punching the victim to the floor and kicking him in the face.

He then picked up a bar stool and used it to hit his victim over the head, leaving him with concussion, bruising and a swollen eye.

- Advertisement -

Fisher has now been jailed for the attack at Larry’s in Derby Road, Stapleford.

His accomplice Terry Cavanagh, aged 36, received a suspended sentencing for assisting Fisher by holding back the bar manager when he tried to stop the attack.

Nottingham Crown Court heard the pair entered the bar at around 11pm on 10 January 2019 and soon went outside to talk with the bar manager. When a member of staff saw on CCTV that their conversation was becoming heated, she asked the reveller to go outside and check everything was OK.

The 40-year-old, who had been playing pool, went outside and after approaching the trio, Cavanagh shouted at him: “Who are you? What’s it got to do with you? Get back inside!”

The reveller went back inside and a short time later the bar manager returned with Fisher and Cavanagh.

The situation appeared calm until later in the night Fisher and Cavanagh asked the bar manager for another drink. The manager declined to serve them any more drinks as the bar had closed and tempers flared again.

When Fisher and Cavanagh threatened to help themselves to another drink, the reveller intervened and was violently attacked by Fisher.

The incident was reported to the police the following day and both Fisher and Cavanagh were arrested.

The pair were sentenced at Nottingham Crown Court on Monday (17 January).

Fisher, of Church Street, Stapleford, pleaded guilty to assault by occasioning actual bodily harm and was jailed for 12 months.

Cavanagh, of Lawrence Street, Stapleford, admitted the same charge and was jailed for four months, suspended for a year.

PC Sarah Warren, who investigated the incident, said: “This was a brutal and sustained attack and the consequences could have been far worse for the victim.

“There is no excuse whatsoever for the way Fisher behaved that evening and it is right he has received a custodial sentence.

“Although Cavanagh did not throw any punches, he was rightly in the dock alongside Fisher for the part he played in this appalling incident.

“I hope the fact Fisher is now behind bars gives the victim some comfort and enables him to now move on with his life.

“I also hope these convictions reassures people that Nottinghamshire Police takes violent crime extremely seriously and will always strive to put offenders before the courts.”

Follow The Wire on TikTok, Facebook, X, Instagram. Send your story to or via WhatsApp on 0115 772 0418